Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

my trunk rattles like %$&(*%&

Old 09-13-2002, 04:43 PM
steveng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just went to an audio store to asked them for the dynamat extreme. 12 sq ft door kit and one piece of 4 sq ft cost $150 CND. so that's 16 sq ft in total. and 62.5 sq ft Rammat60, on the other hand, cost about the same if convert $99 USD to CND.

seems like rammat60 is a way better deal, but the only problem to me is that i have to get it online from the states which the shipping will add up the total a bit. but anyway dynamat is just too expensive compared to its alternatives. if i ever gonna get sound deafening stuffs, i would choose rammat60.

one last thing, do you guys have any pic of the trunk that is done up with rammat? they look too bling bling to me.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:17 PM
arch iceman

Originally posted by Diabolik

Brownbread is cheaper than Dynamat and does the same job, so I would recommend it. I don't see how the adhesive properties are different, I've used both, they are basically tar and rubber and will both stick to anything. I run my car in winter and summer and never had a problem. And I have it upside down and on the sides.

If you need to use different kinds of Dynamat for upside down and vertical surfaces, that just means that they don't put any quality into their Original product and overcharge for their Extreme. Brown Bread works on ANY surface at ANY angle.

I havent worked with brown bread before so I cant say anything good or bad about it. As far as Dynamat is concerned I have a 300 page binder of technical data from the company discussing adhesive properties of thier lines as well as competitors.

The technical differences between Original and Extreme are more than just the adhesives, it also includes dampening factors, thermal insulation properties, workability, I could type the entire manual here if you agree to cover the bandwidth and my $65/hr salary to do so. I can also refer you to the engineers at Dynamat who actually test the competitors products in actual vehicles.

Like I said, Ive never worked with it so I cant judge for myself. Out of the brands that I have worked with, the only one I reccomend over Dynamat is Cascade. Besides "brown bread" clinging to my trunk lid doesnt sound too attractive.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:30 PM
steveng

Originally posted by arch iceman

I havent worked with brown bread before so I cant say anything good or bad about it. As far as Dynamat is concerned I have a 300 page binder of technical data from the company discussing adhesive properties of thier lines as well as competitors.

The technical differences between Original and Extreme are more than just the adhesives, it also includes dampening factors, thermal insulation properties, workability, I could type the entire manual here if you agree to cover the bandwidth and my $65/hr salary to do so. I can also refer you to the engineers at Dynamat who actually test the competitors products in actual vehicles.

Like I said, Ive never worked with it so I cant judge for myself. Out of the brands that I have worked with, the only one I reccomend over Dynamat is Cascade. Besides "brown bread" clinging to my trunk lid doesnt sound too attractive.
why is there a big price difference between Raammat60 and Dynamat extreme?
Raammat60 Dynamat extreme
62 sq ft 16 sq ft
$100 also$100
Old 09-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Diabolik
Has an M3 now...

I see what you're saying. The thing is with Dynamat is you are paying for a name, I believe. I am sure there are other differences between the different types of mat, but I believe there are alternatives that would better suit someone who doesn't want to spend a TON of money to laden their trunk in rubber

-Diabolik
Old 09-17-2002, 04:13 PM
long

i used dynamat extreme. purchased for about 100 bux for a bulk pack 36sq ft. you can buy them on ebay now for like 110. thats where i bought mine. brand new. i basically paid the price employees pay at circuit city

oh...and the adhesives are different. depending on brand and type.

dynamat original is really hard and you have to heat it up to mold it right. extreme is really really sticky on the back.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:25 PM
steveng

thanx for the info, 100 is a very good deal
Old 09-17-2002, 08:00 PM
arch iceman

Originally posted by long
oh...and the adhesives are different. depending on brand and type.

dynamat original is really hard and you have to heat it up to mold it right. extreme is really really sticky on the back.
Very true. A tip for working with any sound deadening material, leave it laying on concrete in the sun for a while before working with it. That will allow it to flatten out and be more flexible and workable.

Make sure your surfaces are clean, I usually wipe over everything with a light paint thinner. Use a heat gun and roll the material with a heavy duty roller to ensure it stays on the lifetime of the vehicle.

As far as the stickyness of the Dynamat Extreme, it will remove skin if you work with it extensively enough. I can tell you that from personal experience, and my dermotologist can confirm it. My fingertips started bleeding after working with the extreme material for 3 weeks building a demo suburban for Dynamat. Thier engineers are aware of this as well. See 300 page tech binder from Dynamat.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:06 PM
seth90dx

How much do you think it will cost me to dynomat my entire hatchback? and isnt that stuff heavy?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:28 PM
long

just the hatch or the whole car? the whole car with extreme considering 110 a bulk pack? probably three would be good to do a couple layers in the trunk and ...well actually might beable to do it with just two packs.

yeah its heavy. but worth it!
Old 09-19-2002, 09:41 PM
rcurley55

As a former Dynamat regional rep I have displays of the stuff compared to its competitors, its not all the same stuff. In this case you get what you pay for.
Personally I don't see how you get what you pay for, when you can go and purchase Hi-Temp Mastic from McMaster.com for $1 a square foot instead of Dynamat Original....sorry but the price hike is not worth the silkscreened logo.

I've used and compared both, and they are the same material.

I think that dynamat has done a great job with thier marketing, and creating awareness for the importance of integrating mass loading as part of the system, but their product, IMO is severely overpriced.

As for Raamat and Raamat60 - they are excellent products. Rick McCallum is a pleasure to deal with and bends over backward for his customers.

I'm not saying that Dynamat doesn't work, I just think that you can get similar, if not better performance for a whole lot less money.

Also, you would be surprised what some closed and open cell foam sheets can do to help quite your car while adding minimal weight.