Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

can't get sub and antena to work, help!

Old 09-12-2002, 02:13 PM
DeadLock23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get sub and antena to work, help!

ok I got a new Alpine head unit, 7874, and I got it cause with it the stock cd changer works and it has RCA out for the sub. Ok everything was fine until now.

After like 15 min of playin the system the amp doesn work, and then I noticed that the antena won't come out when the radio is on. But if I turn the head unit off then on in 5 min, the antena goes up to mid point then goes back in. And the amp is only on when the antena work.

the connections are all secure and the remote wires are all connected. It seems as if after a long break it works for about 15 min, what should I do?

What is going on, is it a faulty head unit?
Old 09-12-2002, 02:43 PM
DeadLock23

someone help me out
Old 09-12-2002, 05:09 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

O.K. your post is a little confusing, so let me sort this out......

1. Your harness has 2 blue lines..... one for power antenna, and one for power amp turn on. Make sure you have the right ones going to the right ones, as the antenna line turns off when you switch from tuner to any other source.

2. If the blue lines aren't fused, then there is an internal overload protect. In other words, if either of the blue lines has more than half an amp on it, the protector kicks in and cuts off the 12 volts going to the line. Check for shorts and over current draw.

3. Of course, check all grounds. That is the most important, I cannot stress that enough. ALL grounds in the system, amps, speakers, head unit, etc.

After that, post any other problems and we'll try to walk you through them.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:32 PM
DeadLock23

ok, I used an adaptor for the stock harness so the ground should be fine. The amp is grounded as well. It works for the first 15 min then stops, so it has to be some sort of protection. Someone segested to install a relay, but i dont know on wich of the 2 wires. Then I called Alpine and asked them, they said there is a stock amp somewhere that is being tuned on causing the problem (I dont think that is the case, '95 instegras dont have amps, as far as i know)

so what could it be, would the relay really be needed?

how do I chek for over current draw?
Old 09-12-2002, 05:57 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

How many amps are you running off the blue amp line? If it's more than two you may need a relay on the blue line. It is only designed for about a quarter of an amp of turn on. You are SURE that you have the blue lines correct (antenna and amp)?
Old 09-13-2002, 05:55 AM
Bass Mechanic

if you connect the antenna turn on to the antenna and the amp to the amp turn on then you will divide the load for the turn on circuts. also if the antenna goes down when it's not supposed to or the amp still turns off when it's not supposed to then you will have effectivly isolated the problem to 1 of 2 circuts.
this will make it easier to find the problem.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:32 PM
DeadLock23

ok, I exchanged the head unit, and it wasnt the head unit, I found my problem.

when I wired up the power antena without the amp wires up everything workes as soon as I connected the amp remote wire it started to act funny again. I would connect the remote for the amp and the antena would start going down then when I let go it went up.

so something is wrong with the remote wire that is running to the amp? any ideas, I was thinking it got pinched and is grounded, and is causing the safty feature in the head unit to shut the 12V power to it and the antena. And another thing is I cheked the blue w/white wire and it gives out a constant 12V source.

would a relay still work? or is this something else?