Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Speakers on dash for better imaging

Old 12-02-2005, 10:13 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers on dash for better imaging

I only see system where the speaker either go on the door, or up on the door near the side mirrors.

I'm looking for some speakers that would be mount on top of the dash as far forward under the windshield glass as possible. My other car, Lexus, has the mid-high component speakers mounted the way and the imaging is amazing for a car. Instead of feeling like you have a pair of headphones on, you feel like you're sitting in front of two properly placed speakers.

Anyone know of any?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 PM
97teg

Its going to be difficult to get speakers in there unless you are planning to do some cutting of the dash. I have my tweeters in my a pillars. You can move the speakers up but one of the tradeoffs is reflections from the glass and dash as well as typically getting good imaging for only one person. Ive found moving the speakers up tends to give you good height but the placement of instruments and singers can get a bit difficult to get right without proper control of the individual speakers. Typically you take location of sounds from higher sounds (tweeters) but placement is taken more from the midrange. This is why just putting tweeters up high can make it sound like everything is coming from up high. The problem with having mids up high is that the length usally becomes more unequal and this causes the sound to become bias to one side without something like time allingment. I guess the speakers depend on what you want and how much you are willing to modify to get them to fit. Is the lexus using a center?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:03 PM
96GreenCivic

Agreed with above.