Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Different questions for 01 Accord EX

Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 AM
kobu84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different questions for 01 Accord EX

Hello,

This is my first post, and first stereo installation Right now, everything is installed (done myself), and running good. But it's not perfect, and will require adjustments which I hope you guys can suggest. Let me list it below:
BTW, this is in my 2001 Accord EX Coupe.

HU is the Stock Honda 6 CD unit (with 20 pin connector)
EQ is Alpine 3319 (with Speaker level input and 2 preamp outputs)
Front stock speakers powered by Zapco 50x4 amp
Rear stock speakers powered by Hifonics Warrior Hawk 45x2 amp
2 JBL 10's powered by JBL amp with a Ported box

The way I set this up is:

1. HU to the EQ using the speaker level input (HU rear speakers)
2. EQ to the Front Zapco amp, and EQ to the Rear Hifonics amp
3. The Rear Hifonics amp has a Line-Out, to the JBL sub amp

Is the above a good and safe setup?

I can also use a preamp (RCA) input to the EQ, but I would have to use an LOC which I already have. Which would be better, LOC or Speaker level?
Ex)1. HU -> LOC -> EQ -> Amps
2. HU -> EQ -> Amps

Are my subs severely underpowered? The sub can run 250W RMS each (500 together @ 4ohms), but the amp would run 338W RMS @ 2ohms. As with using the Stock HU, it will never reach the max power as expected...However, the bass sounds perfect, as if I don't want it to go any louder than it is...

Overall, the system sounds better when the interior speakers are powered by their amps. But the subs are losing the thumps and would gain more thumps if I boost the Lows up a bit on the EQ, which I was told was not a good idea. The subs would have alot more thumps when I didn't amp the interior speakers. I am guessing that the Hifonics Line Out doesnt give enough power to the JBL amp.

I would like to change out my interior speakers soon to add more vocal part of the music, is there a recommendation to achieve this? Such as going with all coaxials (no components) with 2-way at front and 3-way at back. (I am trying to avoid spending too money on components because front staging does not matter to me...)

As you can see, my goal is to make it sound cleaner, louder, not change the HU (for security/function), and not add components.

Thanks for your time and help guys.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Are you amping factory speakers?? Why do you have 2 amps for the car speakers?? The 50X4 should do just fine for most speakers out there. Is that the RMS value??
Old 11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
kobu84

Yes, I am amping the stock speakers for few months, to wait till spring/summer when I would upgrade all the speakers. Yes, 50x4 is the RMS value, and I can use it to power all 4 stock speakers. But, I would require another LOC to connect the sub. The Hifonics 45x2 amp has a Line-Out which i would connect to the sub with. The Zapco (50x4) does not have one. In the future, I can bridge these channels for more power, or add more speakers (6 speakers + subs final setup). I see this as a good long term use, and save myself from running 3 sets of RCA cables (using only 2 now). What do you think?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM
kobu84

Default An Update

Well, I did some more playing around with the setup. I decided to keep the LOC in between the EQ and the HU. I get MUCH less distortion, so this makes the music more clearer and louder. Subs makes a cleaner thumps. However, I am getting music cut off or a quiet alternator whine. I think this happens because the EQ power wires, 3 sets of RCAs (input, front, rear), GND, remote wires are all a bit tangled up in that small 6th gen center console. So I did some cleaning up, the whine is gone, but will test it some more.

I am still thinking about replacing all stock speakers w/ all coaxials only to increase the vocals and mids. I am also thinking about a nice small center speaker to place in the console. Any suggestion?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:58 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Well, power and remote turn on should always be run away from signal cables. If you must cross them, it's best to do so at a 90 degree angle.

CDT makes a center stage kit, its meant to be used in conjunction with front component speakers. Its job is to provide both the passenger and driver with dedicated left and right tweeters.

Are you completely dead-set in using the factory HU??? Most if not all of these problems could be solved with a nice aftermarket deck. You would need a deck with 3 pairs of preouts; front, rear, and a non-fading subwoofer preout. EQ's also have the ability to cause phase distortion, an actual time delay between various parts of the signal.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM
kobu84

Default Pioneer DEH-P7700MP

Hey guys,

I just recieved a very nice birthday present Pioneer DEH-P7700MP from my brother soooo, this changes my whole plan. I installed it and it is amazing. It has alot of features that I am still trying to figure out how to use. It also has 3 preouts, so it is perfect for my amp setup. Just have to tune it and getting matching speakers. Thanks again.