Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

XM Install/buying question.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:46 AM
simsurfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Install/buying question.

I am looking into getting XM Radio installed in my ’06 Accord Coupe. I just got off the phone with the dealer who advised I can use my existing radio but I need some sort of adapter and an antenna, total cost $966.00 which is about $900 more than I wanted to spend. Does anyone know the parts I would need to make this happen and whether or not this would be an easy installion? Has anyone ever done a DIY on this?

Basically I am looking to use my pre-existing radio and would rather not have to go with another radio in the car. The radio I currently have is the Stock AM/FM radio with the 6 disk CD changer that comes with the EX V4 ’06 Accord 2dr Coupe.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 AM
simsurfer

Ok, after looking around a bit more I see if my factory installed radio is XM ready I need a Tuner Box. This box connects directly to the back of the aftermarket radio allowing the head unit to control the XM Radio channel selection. Packages include the XM direct tuner box, magnetic antenna, and interface cable.

If not, and if you i am looking to use the control features of the factory installed radio and don't want to change my radio or use a Plug & Play unit then you will need to contact the dealership.

Does anyone know if the radio (stock) in the 06 Accord Coupe is XM radio ready and if it is wouldnt I just need to get one of these: http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/in...S&Category=340

Thanks for any help you can all offer.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:59 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Its going to be a dealer only part if it is XM ready.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Mehdi

Originally Posted by simsurfer
Does anyone know if the radio (stock) in the 06 Accord Coupe is XM radio ready and if it is wouldnt I just need to get one of these: http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/in...S&Category=340
The XM radio accessory listed in this page should work for you. It's the unit that plugs to the back of your Accord's head-unit. It's a bit more that you want to spend, but the quality of sound should be a lot better.

I recommend against using a Delphi unit with RF modulator if at all possible.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

If im looking at the same thing you are its still going to be FM Modulated and wont really be any step up from the Delphi SkyFi. I may be looking at the wrong thing though.

You can always hardwire the SkyFi to your vehicles audio system, you will need to know how to tap into the cars ignition harness though. Since you have an 06' and still have a warranty, Id leave it to a qualified installer.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:39 PM
jkjk

It doesn't lookvery elegant, but Chinamart (Walmart) sells satellite radios that mount on the visor for less than $100. One was $38. They are about the size of a checkbook, and smaller.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:48 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Yea, the Xact has 4 differnent mounting positions and costs $50. You will still be using an FM Transmitter though which is considered an analog audio signal.