Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alpine 7894 vs Nakamichi CD-45z...

Old 09-10-2002, 06:00 PM
PinoyShadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine 7894 vs Nakamichi CD-45z...

OK people, let me know what you all think. I want to know of any of you who have had or currently have either one of these units. I want to know what you like and/or don't like about the unit. I am leaning towards the Alpine simply due to its ability to play mp3 cd's, which I can see as being very convenient due to the ability to ram an assload of songs on one disc. But I also enjoy the Nakamichi because of its subtlety and its reputation for sound quality. As for the Alpine, you can choose to have the lighting in amber OR green, correct? Or is it that some of the buttons glow green while others glow amber?
The setup that will match up with whatever unit I decide to go with will be 1 IDQ DVC 12" powered by a Memphis ST500D, while the mids/highs will be either Focal Polykevlar or Utopia's, powered by I don't know what yet (suggestions??). I'm open to all commentary, even if you end up suggesting a different unit entirely. Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone, I appreciate your input, PEACE.

Mike

ARCH-ICEMAN, where joo at mang???
Old 09-10-2002, 07:22 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

If you want the MP3 capability go with the Alpine... I dont have much experience with Nakamichi... but the sound quality is fairly similar... Nakamichi decks have always been easy to use with their very simple faceplates... which is nice to some people... the Alpine is also very easy to use (I have the 7893, just deletes the MP3 capability, and has a silver face) The alpine can switch illumination from amber, to green. The amp inside the 7894 is awesome, but judging by your possible speaker selection, you'll want some external amps... good thing is, that awesome amp in the deck can be turned off, allowing for cooler operation and better SQ through your component amps.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:42 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

I'd go with the Alpine if it were me. MP3 capapbility is a big plus. On a side note, I've heard that the Nak isn't reliable. I've noticed people complaining about the loading mechanisms and other tid bits on other forums I frequent.

As for an amp to power your Focals, get something with atleast 75 watts x 4. PPI, JL, Phoenix Gold Ti, are some of my recommendations. Arc Audio is super nice if you have the flow....
Old 09-11-2002, 03:50 PM
PinoyShadow

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
The amp inside the 7894 is awesome, but judging by your possible speaker selection, you'll want some external amps... good thing is, that awesome amp in the deck can be turned off, allowing for cooler operation and better SQ through your component amps.
Yea, I am definitely going with external amps. I wasn't aware that the internal amp on the Alpine unit could be turned off... very good feature. Thanks for your response bro, I appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:54 PM
PinoyShadow

Originally posted by SiClone
I'd go with the Alpine if it were me. MP3 capapbility is a big plus. On a side note, I've heard that the Nak isn't reliable. I've noticed people complaining about the loading mechanisms and other tid bits on other forums I frequent.

As for an amp to power your Focals, get something with atleast 75 watts x 4. PPI, JL, Phoenix Gold Ti, are some of my recommendations. Arc Audio is super nice if you have the flow....
I agree, the mp3 feature is probably whats going to do it for me. As for the whole reliability thing that you mentioned, I have never heard anything about that. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever heard anything negative about the CD-45z ever, except for the simple design. Other than that, I've heard nothing but praise till now. Hmmm, thanks for the heads up.

Yea, I was thinking of going with maybe the new PPI PCX 4 channel or... I don't know. But as for the Arc audio, I don't know if I want to spend that much flowl like you said. By the time I finish with the kickpanels, the components, the amps, this deck, the wiring, and all the parts for the custom install (my boss at the audio shop that I used to work at is doing the labor for me for free ), I am going to be drained mang. But hey, thanks for your time and comments dawg, lates.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:50 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

:thumbup:

Let us know what you decide... and also, what kind of price would you be getting on the 7894?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:53 PM
rcurley55

I would say beware of the Nak. there have been noted issues with it being picky on CD-R's. also the cd trasnsport mechanism is known to fail.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:29 PM
PinoyShadow

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
:thumbup:

Let us know what you decide... and also, what kind of price would you be getting on the 7894?

I have decided on the 7894

Umm, the price that I am getting on the 7894 is $310... good????
Old 09-12-2002, 03:30 PM
PinoyShadow

Originally posted by rcurley55
I would say beware of the Nak. there have been noted issues with it being picky on CD-R's. also the cd trasnsport mechanism is known to fail.

Thanks for the heads up dawg, I appreciate it. But I have decided to go with the Alpine anyways, so I guess I won't be dealing with those probs. Thanks again, lates.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:46 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

****, $310?? is it used??

I got my 7893 for 320 with my discount. (new)

Quick Reply: Alpine 7894 vs Nakamichi CD-45z...