Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   1998 2.3 CL - Will Apline s634 cd/mp3 changer work? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/20936-1998-2-3-cl-will-apline-s634-cd-mp3-changer-work.html)

jbrettgriffin 09-09-2002 03:25 PM

1998 2.3 CL - Will Apline s634 cd/mp3 changer work?

Quick question - will the new alpine Mp3/cd changer s634 work with my in factory in - dash cd-controller / cd-deck? Is the factory on a 1998 cl ai-net compatible? I am a little worried that I will not be able to control/play mp3 cd's - and that would be the only benefit to buying it, of course!

Thanks in advance.

jbg

kwhitelaw 09-09-2002 05:46 PM

It is a toss up. You will need a few adapters to try though. Some people have done it on the newer cl's / tl's but some say it didn't work. You will need the adapter to plug into the factory deck, then the adapter to convert the ai-net plug to an m-bus plug. The changer won't plug directly into the adapter at the radio as the adapter only takes an m'bus plug.

LjN_728 09-09-2002 08:32 PM

I don't kno how the 98 CL's but i do know as for the 00' and up models, the CL's are BOSE system components. I don't exactly kno if they make an adapter for that but if u really want the changer, than look around for it. Why don't u just go with a fm modulated changer? Not as good but it does the trick!

SumAccordGuy94 09-09-2002 09:07 PM

The Ai-Net changer will not work with the stock CL deck. The MP3 changer needs a alpine deck with text capability. And Ai-Net is a totally different "language" than m-bus.

It is a cool idea... but it wont work out.

The CHM models work with your stock cd player, with the addition of a $30 adapter available at best buy or a similar store... usually the adapters at stereo specialty shops go for about $60.

FM modulated changers do work, but a changer connected directly to the deck gives you much better sound.... plus its really nice to be able to control the changer directly with the stock in dash player.

LjN_728 09-09-2002 11:27 PM

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
The Ai-Net changer will not work with the stock CL deck. The MP3 changer needs a alpine deck with text capability. And Ai-Net is a totally different "language" than m-bus.

Ahhh...that's right!! I forgot about that. Good job pointing it out!!

ungucpho79 09-10-2002 07:30 PM

they make a M-Bus to Ai-Net cable. Part# KCA-130B. The manual says that you might lose the folder up & down option, but it should work

SumAccordGuy94 09-11-2002 06:11 AM

only alpine decks understand the Ainet "language" it wont work with a factory honda/acura deck.

ungucpho79 09-11-2002 01:37 PM

If the stock headunit has the cd changer port, and if it is M-Bus compatable then it should work. You'd run from the headunit, the M-Bus to Ai-net cable (#KCA-130B) , then the Ai-net cable to the changer. I took this information out of the owners manual for the changer. this makes gives any alpine headunit the ability to play mp3's. If the cl headunit has the port for the M-bus system, then when used along with the cable, it should play mp3's. You just wouldn't get all the options that come along with the changer.:)

SumAccordGuy94 09-11-2002 05:49 PM

My guy and I discussed this today, and we think it maybe worth a shot... but you wont have the ability to go over track #99... being so many MP3's can be crammed onto a CD, you wont be able to play all of them. You also wont have any naming features, no display of text and none of the other fancy options... so basically you'd have to scan each CD to know whats on it.

He didnt have the ainet adapter in stock, or else we would have tried it... its on order and we're gonna try if when it comes in, that is if someone else dosent try it first...