Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Wire-Tunes: too good to be true?

Old 08-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Elwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire-Tunes: too good to be true?

I'm very interested in having Circuit City install a Wire-Tunes iPod adapter <https://wire-tunes.com/> in my '02 Accord (with factory 6-CD changer and cassette). I hope someone who's had this adapter installed in a similar car/stereo can answer a few basic questions.

1) Does it work at all with the factory stereo?

2) Does it take the place of one CD, leave you one CD, or replace all CDs?

3) Does it display any useful information on the Accord's little LCD panel?

4) Does the navigation work anything like the actual iPod, or will access to my music be limited or difficult to find?

5) It says it comes with a free mount. Does that mean to mount the interface, or to mount the iPod? I'm thinking the cup holder compartment would be a good place to put the iPod while connected, maybe using the Belken cup holder iPod cradle. It would sure be nice if the iPod could drop in like the dock, but I suspect it'll require plugging a cable into the iPod.

6) Does it sound better than a cassette adapter (which is what I'm using now) or an auxiliary input would? It claims to be an all digital connection, but I'm a little skeptical that applies in this installation.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:01 AM
Elwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answer: Wire-Tunes cannot be installed in my Accord because it has a metal cover where there is usually a CD changer cable, probably because the factory stereo has an in-dash CD changer built in. If you don't have the Honda CD changer, though, Wire-Tunes may be an excellent iPod interface for you. Most interfaces seem to limit you to five or so playlists, and most seem to replace your CD changer. According to the Circuit City installation manager, they've installed several of these in similar Accords and they worked great. You press the CD button once to access your changer, then a second time, and it display something to the effect of an external CD changer, and you have access to every playlist and every song on your iPod.

Apparently, this same connector is needed on the back of the factory stereo to install an auxiliary line in, so I guess I'll continue to use a cassette adapter. I hope this info proves useful to somebody else.