Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Preventing voltage spike? XM on line-in

Old 07-21-2005, 06:56 PM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventing voltage spike? XM on line-in

Just got my '02 Accord Coupe yesterday! I'm thrilled with every aspect of this car with one exception: audio system. That's no surprise, of course. To fix it I just ordered an Alpine CDA9847 to which I will be connecting my SkyFi via the aux input. I have a question about this, though.

I had a nearly identical setup on my last car (CDA9807). If I was dumb enough to leave everything powered on when I placed the SkyFi in its cradle it would cause a voltage spike and the speakers would "pop" really badly. I only did it a couple of times but I completely trashed the tweeters. I've learned to be more careful but I would like to make it idiot proof so that I don't do the same thing to another system. Any ideas? Is there anything I can put between the cradle and the head unit that will capture that power surge? I'd appreciate your suggestions.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:59 PM
oei28

a fuse?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:07 PM
97teg

the crossovers should protect the tweeters. Are you sur eyou just didnt pop a fuse in the crossover? Are these stock tweeters or an aftermarket set?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:33 AM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

I was using Alpine Type-R components. The speakers still made noise but the sound was absolutely awful. Lots and lots of white noise and scratching mixed in with the music playing faintly in the background. When new they sounded fantastic.

I have the new deck and the SkyFi in the car now. So far I haven't had the same problem. It can make a faint pop (tried it since I'll be replacing the stock speakers anyway) but not nearly as bad as with the old car. Someone on another forum suggested that it was a grounding problem with the SkyFi. Seems OK for now. Fortunately I've learned not to make that mistake in the first place.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

Did you cut the power plug off the unit to hard wire it behind the dash for power, or is it just plugged into the cigarette adapter? Were your components doing it only when the xm reciever was on?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:49 AM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

They sounded terrible all the time. I was using the cigarrette lighter plug for power.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

bad reciever maybe.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:22 AM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

Hmm. Maybe I did damage to the receiver and not the speakers. Either way it's not an issue any more. New car, new receiver, and some day new speakers.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 AM
4drman
Takes more than patience.

check your connecting wires for ur speakers, yours connections of wires can make the difference between a little "fuzzy" and home audio clear when using high frequency speakers, like tweeter.