Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Battery drainage...

Old 07-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Oldschool
Boondock Saint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drainage...

I am running an optima yellow top battery, relocated to the trunk of my 95 teg GSR.

It's been two weeks since I had my system installed, and now I have had to jump start her the last 3 days.

Amps turn off when ignition is off. My dash mounted volt meter drops anytime my bass hits.

Total power, 1500 watts RMS.....

What can I do to fix this...HO alternator, caps...etc etc?

Idea's, thoughts, much appreciated....
Old 07-16-2005, 05:23 PM
shitbrick2
Banned

HO alternator
Old 07-16-2005, 06:49 PM
97teg

How far does it dip down? As long as your not listening incredable loud the alternator should be able to keep up. I mean it will dip a bit but should come right back up. Ive also heard from several people of having bad experiences with optimas when used for car audio, so you may want to have the battery tested to see if its still ok. An alternator will help with the voltage drop but it may not help with the starting problem. It should still be charging between the bass hits. When you let the car idle with the system low or off what does the volt meter read? Id say if you let the car idle for a bit with the system off or very low and it still wont start its problably the battery.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Oldschool
Boondock Saint

Usually, my volt meter is steady at 14, whenever the bass hits, it drops to twelve. I have been keeping the system off today, and so far, I haven't had a prob starting it, however, once I turned the system on (even low) my volts drop, then if I keep the rpm's up, it will go to 14, then to 12...

Stock alternator in my GSR is 90 amps...a friend said I should be running an alternator making no less than 240 amps to supply my audio system, vtec controller, add on gauges, et etc...

This is oh so annoying because my system sounds sooo...unbelievably good.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:43 PM
shitbrick2
Banned

get a ho alt, your alt will fail soon if you keeping putting all this stress on it. when your alt dies i hope you learn. 1500w rms is alot for a 90a alt.