Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

problems with driverside speaker, running out of options....

Old 06-23-2005, 11:25 AM
krogoth313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with driverside speaker, running out of options....

For the past few weeks my driverside speaker has all but cut out on me. I'm not to adept in the electronic field so I was wondering if I could get some help. I bought my car used(which I'm starting to hate it for that). It's an Acura Integra 95' SE with aftermarket audio in it. I'm not sure what they originally came with, but the radio is a Kenwood with Memphis speakers and a older Fultron 35x4 Mosfet Amp, unknown year on all parts. In order to get the speaker where I can hear it, I have to turn up the volume to near unbearable levels, and then I can hear the sound cut in and out badly. Thinking it might be the speaker itself, I tried switching it out with a couple year old Pioneer speaker and got the same effect. I then went to the amp and tried switching the left and right side speaker wires...still no chage. I would have tried to switch out the Kenwood itself, but I had nothing with the correct wiring.(I have an old radio from my Honda Accord, but the wiring in the Integra had been heavily modified to the point where the switch would not have been possible.) Anyone have any ideas, or has anyone had this kind of experience?

Oh, and I'm not sure if I was looking hard enough, but I couldn't find any info about the Fultron amps, even when I went to the Memphis audio site and looked through their discontinued list of stuff.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
pnthr30

You might be best served by just starting over and checking everything from the beginning. If I were you, I'd pull the radio out, make sure all the connections are solid/correct, check/rewire the amp, check/rewire the speakers....then see what happens. Sounds like the person who wired it before you did a hack job, and trying to "problem solve" on hack jobs can be a big PITA.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:14 PM
shitbrick2
Banned

to me it sound like there is a problem with the wire on that side check the wire for cracks,cuts and bad connections
Old 06-28-2005, 07:50 PM
97teg

You could take a dvd player or something and plug it directly into the amp to see if it is the cd player. Just start with the gains low so you dont blow anything out and slowly turn it up.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:24 PM
integratuner55

my speakers would do that sometimes too... they would actually cut out on me. Since all the original wiring and speakers are gone and replaced by custom wires, they all have different sized prongs that actually attach to the speaker itself. My guess is that the fittin is too big to fit the little prong coming from the speaker. Take a pair of needlenose pliers with the speaker out and clamp down on it in order to secure the fitting of the speaker wire, and the connect point on the speaker itself. Then pull a little bit to make sure its in place pretty good. Then do the same thing with the other prong. If that doesn't work then im sorry i dont know what it is.