Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

How much wattage does stock HU have?

Old 05-23-2005, 07:22 AM
OblivionLord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much wattage does stock HU have?

I got a 98ex civic.

Im just wondering how much RMS and Peak wattage the stock HU has.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
GSR-Papi

I don't know for sure, but I would guess less than 5 rms, less than 10 peak. They're very weak. I was an installed for 3 years so I have some knowledge in this area, just so you know I'm not pulling these numbers out my butt.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by GSR-Papi
I don't know for sure, but I would guess less than 5 rms, less than 10 peak. They're very weak. I was an installed for 3 years so I have some knowledge in this area, just so you know I'm not pulling these numbers out my butt.
Sounds about right, maybe a few more actually. Aftermarket head units only put out around 20-25 watts, so I figure about half as much as those.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

the only reason they sound as good as they do is because the speakers didn't require that much power. that and they were made for the cars acoustics.

thats why just slapping speakers in doesn't help much unless they're powered by an external amp. And even then, sometimes the full debth the factory speakers had is missing. But it all depends on the setup, the tuning, and the ears hearing it.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:12 PM
OblivionLord

Old 05-24-2005, 09:08 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

just saying power doesn't mean everything
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
GSR-Papi

Originally Posted by TTT
Aftermarket head units only put out around 20-25 watts.
Aftermarket decks put out, on average, a third of their peak rating in RMS power. When Alpine says their radio is 50x4, that's peak power, count on it having about 15 watts RMS. The power they say they have is their peak power output, which isn't nearly as important as RMS power. Deck companies tell everyone the peak power rating because it' a bigger number, and they depend on the uneducated public not to know the difference.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:33 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by GSR-Papi
Aftermarket decks put out, on average, a third of their peak rating in RMS power. When Alpine says their radio is 50x4, that's peak power, count on it having about 15 watts RMS. The power they say they have is their peak power output, which isn't nearly as important as RMS power. Deck companies tell everyone the peak power rating because it' a bigger number, and they depend on the uneducated public not to know the difference.
I know, I was actually referring to RMS power. Most good companies will tell you the RMS value of the output, along with the peak value. Its amazing how many people go by peak power.