Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Subs not working....amps really hot/fuse blown????

Old 05-22-2005, 01:13 PM
carrwash13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs not working....amps really hot/fuse blown????

Well my 10" Polk Momo is not working so I checked the fuse and it was blown and probably got extremely hot because it melted a little bit of the fuse housing so I replaced it only to find that the sub then made a crackling noise whenever bass was supposed to be happening (while radio on) and sounded like it was hissing a bit. Upon checking my 500 watt Rockford Fosgate Punch amp I found that it was extremely hot after only being on like 5 minutes. I don't know alot about amps/subs so does anyone know what this might mean or what I should do??
Old 05-22-2005, 05:42 PM
b00gers

Did the sub work well with that amp prior? Or is this the first time you got them hooked up?

What is the model of the amp and sub? How did you hook them up? It sounds like the sub might be going into protection mode because of a low impedance.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:24 PM
TTT

Did you have a professional installer hook it up or did you? If you did, like will said, check the way you hooked the sub up to the amp to make sure it is seeing the proper resistance. Also, make sure your connections are good and strong, and your wires are of proper size (including ground wire, to be safe it should be the same size as your power wire). Also, make sure your ground is touching bare metal.