Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Problem with 98 Accord head, need advice

Old 05-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Tenchibo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with 98 Accord head, need advice

I have subs hooked up to a facotry 98 Accord Ex head, but when I turn the head off, an extremely loud noise comes from the sub, until the head is switched back on. I'm worried about my amp, but my install guy says there's no power source for the amp to connect into that will turn off the amp. Is this true or does he just want me to have to go buy a head? I like my factory head because I can use steering wheel controls, and it makes my car less of a target for break-ins. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:00 PM
VPUPPY

the remote line into the amp turns it on and off. check that wire. it should be hooked up the a wire that runs off the ignition(i.e. it loses power with the key goes to off position). there is a wire in the factory harness that can do this, thats why the radio turns off with the key. just make sure the remote wire is hooked up to that wire.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:01 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by Tenchibo
I'm worried about my amp, but my install guy says there's no power source for the amp to connect into that will turn off the amp. Is this true or does he just want me to have to go buy a head?
full of sh!t.

You need to connect the power antenna, commonly known as the blue wire, to your "remote in" on the amp.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
TTT

If the power antenna lead is already being used, then you can use a different wire, any wire that connects to an electrical piece that turns on when you turn your car on will do, for example your gauge cluster.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
blacknight07601

Just make sure the remote wire from the amp is hooked up to an accessory powered wire from the radio. This is why it's best to get an aftermarket radio. They normally have a separate remote wire along with audio outputs for amps
Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Tenchibo

the problem happens when the head unit is turned off while the car is on, not when the car is off. Will the blue wire to the remote on/off on the amp still work? Can I use the power wire or do I need a new wire, and what guage?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:23 PM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by Tenchibo
the problem happens when the head unit is turned off while the car is on, not when the car is off. Will the blue wire to the remote on/off on the amp still work? Can I use the power wire or do I need a new wire, and what guage?
if you have a power antenna and the wire is hooked up to that, it will turn the amp off even if the car is running.