Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Fiberglass people....HELP please. *pics

Old 05-06-2005, 06:38 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass people....HELP please. *pics

Hi. I just received my speakers today and discovered that they dont fit. I have a window-rail pretty close to the sheet-metal. Using a baffle tall enough will cause the speaker to hit the door panel. I looks like the only way I can get these in is with some glassin'.

I dont want kickpanels because they will just take too much time and work. I have never done fiberglassing before, so the more simple it is, the better.

I was doing some research and found these two attractive projects that look very simple. This first one simply mounts the speaker onto a ring that is glassed into the speaker cover. But I dont think this is a good idea because the speaker is sitting onto of the cover which is held in with clips to the door panel. So it is not even reinforced to the metal of the door.

Here is the 2nd idea. This takes the concept of the first one, but takes it a couple steps further. Here is the link. I figure I can do this and bolt it to the metal of the door like the guy did. That should hold it well. Then I will sounddeaden the door panel and door like crazy. This seems like a better idea, but will involved way more work. I will even have to find vinyl wrap that matches my interior.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthre...mple+door+pods

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:32 PM
japanbran

i would use the second idea. it is much easier to do that then paint glass. let say you glass it using the first idea, you have to build it, glass it, bondo it, prime it, and paint it.. if you do the second you could build it, glass it,wrap it... thats it. it is cheaper and stronger that way. imo..

if you glass it and have questions pm me.

hope this helps,
brandon
Old 05-07-2005, 10:37 PM
b00gers

Do you think it would be ok for the speaker to be mounted on the door panel instead of something solid like the sheet metal behind the panel? That is my main concern, seconded to actually mounting the thing without messing up my door panel.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:36 AM
japanbran

i think it would be better to mount it on wood and mount the wood to the metal. i t would work either way but i think thisis your better bet.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:00 AM
97teg

One of the problems i can see with mounting it to the plastic of the door pannel is that its not very well sealed. You will probably get some cancellation. Id mount it to the metal and cover all the holes with sound dampening.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:14 AM
b00gers

Well, I plan to dynamat the sheet metal of the door really well. I might even go as far as putting a layer of fiberglass on the backside of the door panel where the woofer is going to be. Then mount the piece where the woofer is going to be to the sheet metal of the door somehow. This is going to take LOTS of planning :happysad: I was just hoping I can drop it in with a simple baffle h:
Old 05-08-2005, 01:40 PM
TTT

The second idea seems like the best bet. If you think your door panel will be able to hold the weight of the speaker and baffle, which I think it should, then you should be fine with mounting it to the panel and not the actual metal. I doubt you would have trouble with cancellation, even if you mounted it to the actual metal it would still act like a leaky infinite baffle setup.

Here's another idea. Have you ever thought about doing kick panels? If you're going to fiberglass anyways, kick panels are probably going to be about as easy as the door pod idea, but usually are much better with imaging. Only problem you could run into with this is if the car is a stick, then the clutch pedal may get in the way. What car is this going in? I may be able to find another idea for you.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:01 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by TTT
The second idea seems like the best bet. If you think your door panel will be able to hold the weight of the speaker and baffle, which I think it should, then you should be fine with mounting it to the panel and not the actual metal. I doubt you would have trouble with cancellation, even if you mounted it to the actual metal it would still act like a leaky infinite baffle setup.

Here's another idea. Have you ever thought about doing kick panels? If you're going to fiberglass anyways, kick panels are probably going to be about as easy as the door pod idea, but usually are much better with imaging. Only problem you could run into with this is if the car is a stick, then the clutch pedal may get in the way. What car is this going in? I may be able to find another idea for you.

1999 Integra Sedan, automatic.

I thought about kick-pods. But when I was playing around with them in my car, it seem to take up a lot of room on the floor. On the driver side, I can remove the dead pedal, but that is where I usually keep my foot. But I guess I can kick that habit. I am going to toy with the idea of kick panels again. It all goes back to time and cost factor :happysad:
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 AM
97teg

I actually managed to get kicks in and keep the dead pedal. You probalby cant get quite the best aiming of the speakers but if the speakers work well off axis it should be ok. THe passenger side has the computer but that can be re located. Basically it was a mold of the factory plastic. Air space may be limited but you can vent into the carpet and it should be ok.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 AM
b00gers

Do you have pics of your setup, 97teg?

Also, where should I be aiming the woofers and tweeters? Should I never move the tweeters into the kicks from the door panel?