Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Suggestions for a new Head Unit

Old 04-30-2005, 04:27 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a new Head Unit

I currently have a Clarion DXZ735mp unit in my car. I've had it for about a year and its been causing some minor problems (cd's have a hard time loading, and most of the time mp3 discs/burned discs don't play). I've run a lens cleaner through there a few times, but it didn't really help, and the warrenty is gone (I've already had it repaired due to the internal amp frying out and the cd player stopped accepting cds). My guess is it's a refurbished unit, because I got it from the insurance company when my car got broken into, and I have a feeling they skimp out on that shit. I've heard only good things from clarion, so I'm not going to dismiss them just yet.

so I'm looking to replace this unit, and I've had my eye on the Clarion DXZ945mp unit, with the touch-screen interface and dolby 5.1 decoder (I have ps2/dvd and a screen in my car, so this will come in handy). Ebay has good prices, so thats not the concern.

my question is if anyone has any suggestions I haven't thought of, or does anyone own that clarion deck?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:32 PM
ihookitup4u

Clarion has been on a roller coaster ride for years, one years their good , next not so good. Is this a good years? I am an avid pioneer fan good sound quality great options and a reasonable price. Kenwood sounds to processed to me and alpine is real good but when you max em out they get a little dirty in my opinion.
Just my ear everyone isnt the same.

And you asked for opinions.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Sh22awndo

I my opinion Alpine is the best. It would go something like this

1.Alpine
2.Eclipse
3.Blaupunkt (yeah i know, but the actually are bad-ass now)
4.Clarion
5.Pioneer (not the ones found at Wal-Mart)
6.Everthing else!

Alpine, Eclipse, and Blaupunkt are techknowledgy driven companies,(Bluapunkt was as of 2003). Basically they find out what works for the best application, and incorporated that in their head units. I personally have the Alpine CDA-7894, and wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:10 AM
CplJon

I have the Alpine 9853 and would recommend it. Tuning it wasn't easy, but I am now very pleased with the sound. I should rephrase that tuning it wasn't easy due to my Audiocontrol EQ, and DEI crossover, trying to get them all in good harmony was difficult, if you just have an amp or two it shouldn't be that hard to get the internal EQ and Crossover set. This is my 2nd Alpine and I haven't had any problems.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 PM
19.3secS2K

Originally Posted by CplJon
I have the Alpine 9853 and would recommend it. Tuning it wasn't easy, but I am now very pleased with the sound. I should rephrase that tuning it wasn't easy due to my Audiocontrol EQ, and DEI crossover, trying to get them all in good harmony was difficult, if you just have an amp or two it shouldn't be that hard to get the internal EQ and Crossover set. This is my 2nd Alpine and I haven't had any problems.
looks like a great unit, but it has alot of features I wouldn't really need. I don't plan on getting an ipod, I only run the front stage speakers (and a sub), and I really hate the way alpine units look h:

I was really hoping someone on here would have that clarion unit I'm looking at.... I'd check it out locally, but none of the stereo shops stock clarion.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Sh22awndo

Well if none of your local shops carry Clarion, that itself should tell you something
Old 05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
19.3secS2K

dude, you run kicker shit. that should tell me something.

most of the shops here deal pioneer, jvc, audiobahn, etc.

the higher end shop here used to carry clarion, dunno why they stopped.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:24 PM
97teg

I used to have a clarion. One of the most trouble free decks ive had. Its about 6 years old and still going strong in a friends car. The new ones are supposed to be very nice. Id consider them before blaupunkt. I dont know whats going on with alpine, yanking the 4v outs excpet for the 9855. Ive played with the glide touch and wasnt too impressed with it either.