Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   adding a second amp (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/18709-adding-a-second-amp.html)

smokedogg 08-28-2002 09:37 PM

adding a second amp

whats up ppl?
currently im running 2 JL W3's off a mono RF amp, and i need to add amp to my two pairs of kenwood excelon 6.5's.
Im thinking about getting a RF 4 channel amp, but before I do I need to know about powering it.
Will it be safe to run a 2nd power wire directly from the battery, or will I need to get a distro. block?
(my sub amp is powered by a 4g. wire, the amp I want will be powered by an 8 g. wire)

igo4bmx 08-29-2002 05:28 AM

I would run two separate lines cuz its cheaper...
its hard to find a fuse block that accepts like 4 gauge and outputs one 4 and one 8 g

b00gers 08-29-2002 05:43 AM

what is the RF amp you have? 800.2? if its any bigger, i would run another wire. if not, just use a d-block. if you can find one with 4in-4&8out. you can also use the 4out for the 8 guage. just make sure it wont come loose.

smokedogg 08-29-2002 07:48 AM

the amp i have now is 1000.1.

the main reason i asked was because i know it shard to find a distro block with a 4 and 8 out.

so there shouldnt be any problem running the 2nd wire then?

smokedogg 08-29-2002 08:02 AM

oh yeah and 1 more question....

from what I've heard its also ok to power two amps with the same remote turn on lead...correct? If so how would I go about wiring that piece? would I just connect a second remote wire midway on the existing one?

b00gers 08-29-2002 10:39 AM

there is a risk with powering too many things with the decks remote turn on. once that wire blows....you are just about SOL. what you can do is wire that to a relay...thatll take care of the risk.

there is no problem with running another power wire. i have 2 4Guages in my car right now.

igo4bmx 08-29-2002 10:59 AM

Originally posted by WiLL
there is a rick with powering too many things with the decks remote turn on. once that wire blows....you are just about SOL. what you can do is wire that to a relay...thatll take care of the risk.

there is no problem with running another power wire. i have 2 4Guages in my car right now.

i have three things running off the remote. no problems.

smokedogg 08-29-2002 11:23 AM

thanks guys, looks like im gonna go ahead and buy the amp and hopefully have it set up by this weekend.:cool:

b00gers 08-29-2002 11:26 AM

Originally posted by igo4bmx

i have three things running off the remote. no problems.

ive also ran it so it turned on both my amps and one cap...had no problems. BUT there is always that risk.

acuradriva 08-29-2002 06:54 PM

not with just turning on 2 amps. if it was 3 maybe more than that def get the relay.