Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   suggestions (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/18300-suggestions.html)

vintegra 08-26-2002 11:06 PM

suggestions

could someone please give me some suggestions. i have 98 integra w/ stock cd player. what is a good setup for a audio system. also if i want to have amplifier and subwoofer, would i need a new cd player right? thanks a lot.

dlh1999 08-27-2002 07:30 AM

I don't think you HAVE to have a new CD player, but I certainly would get one if I was upgrading my stereo. What I would do is decide on a budget for a new stereo setup, and then see what you could get with it. I've always started with a new head unit and worked my way back, finishing with amps and subs. Also, it depends how powerful you want your system...what exactly are you looking for (what kind of music, how much bass, etc)?

93acuraviga 08-27-2002 08:19 PM

Yep like dlh said, it depends on what you are looking for. Start with a deck, then depending on what kind of music you listen to add a sub or two. you might be happy with just the extra bass and be done there. Or you can always add new speakers later too.

JonHsiung 08-27-2002 11:47 PM

Start off with a head unit. I'd say get a McIntosh head unit and maybe a changer...say 12-disc?

Hook that up to a Dynaudio System 3-way speaker set with a phoenix gold amp.

Next, try a PPI PCX-2400 amp... with 2 Kicker Solo Baric S15L7's in an enclosed box.

...anyway, i'm just kiddin' ya pal... state your price range next time.

you don't necessarily have to get a new head unit for subs and an amp. i had my stock head unit hooked up to a hi/lo convertor and ran that for a while with my amp and subs, but after a while you dont want to do that anymore because it honestly sounds like crap (and i felt guilty about it).

I'd say get a head unit and then if you need extra bass, then subs+amp. if you think the head unit gives you good enough sound quality then stay like that or change some interior speakers.

arch iceman 08-30-2002 08:29 PM

Originally posted by JonHsiung
Start off with a head unit. I'd say get a McIntosh head unit and maybe a changer...say 12-disc?

Hook that up to a Dynaudio System 3-way speaker set with a phoenix gold amp.

Next, try a PPI PCX-2400 amp... with 2 Kicker Solo Baric S15L7's in an enclosed box.

...anyway, i'm just kiddin' ya pal... state your price range next time.

Actually one of my personal systems is the McIntosh cd deck and 2 McIntosh amps powering my Dynaudio System 360 front stage and the secondary amp powering the Focal sub.

I decided to connect everything with 4 conductor oxygen free continuous cast copper and silver lined RCA cables and speaker cables.

Yes stating a budget is important when asking to put together a system. If budget doesnt matter I can reproduce the same one I have above for about $8,000 + labor.