Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2004 Accord With NAVI AND XM Headunit

Old 03-11-2005, 05:23 PM
n6apv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Accord With NAVI AND XM Headunit

I am working on a mod that involves modifying audio output from my XM radio which I don't want to use. I can not get a straight answer to the question is the XM function (radio) built into the headunit and if not where is it.

The main radio is clearly marked AM and FM and is a 39051-SDA-L410-M. The 14 pin audio bus harness from the XM radio function goes up on the right side of the main radio into who knows where. I can disconnect the XM cable from the cable coming down from the head unit which combined with the AM/FM labeling of the radio tells me the XM is a seperate unit.

If it is above the main radio unit, it seems that I have to pull the dash over the whole NAVI radio/Climate system but I can't find any instructions for the radio removal on line and would be very grateful for any advice or information.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Sternberg
dpsternberg@comcast.net
Old 03-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Bricks2k4civic

It's not built into the head unit. I'm not sure where it is, but i would start under the dash or in the trunk. Just start pulling up panels, it's under there somewhere. It should even say XM RADIO on it.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:59 PM
n6apv

Default XM RCVR Located and Some Useful Aux Input Ideas

Thanks for the help. It is behind the right side panel in the trunk. I pulled it out and put a SHOND3 on the bus cable in the trunk and put my Sony CHA-635 MP3 changer on it. The advice about not using SHOND3 on a NAVI 2004 is only an issue if you want to add anything else to the AUDIO BUS (14 pin). But if you arent adding anything else it works fine. Using the installed bus cable from the head unit all the way to the trunk without a single cut on my hand or string of colorful words is really nice.

I didn't want the XM since I don't want to pay for audio. The XM RCVR is made by Pioneer.

In my research I did get the pinout of the AUDIO BUS. Also discovered that if you get the Cassette/MP3 Player/MultiMedia Player attachment kit it becomes a standard DIN faceplate with the ability to to take out the pocket and put in a second DIN device.

Another idea for Auxilliary inputs:

Leave the XM alone in the trunk
Cut the two shielded audio leads FROM the XM near the headunit connector.
Feed line audio from iPod etc. into the two shielded audio leads going in to the head unit.
Select XM. The logic is made happy by the presence of the XM module in the trunk but the audio to the headunit is now coming from your Aux source.

BTW if you don't want to cut the bus cable from the XM you can buy the "extension" bus cable from the 2003 cassette instructions for NAVI equipped cars. It is a 12" plug to socket that you can put in serries with the XM harness and remove whenever you want to go back tio XM audio or restore the system.

If anyone wants more infoprmation or wants the XM recevier drop me an e-mail at dpsternberg@comcast.net.