Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What the hell? Amps all gay

Old 03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Hoist
My name is Mud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell? Amps all gay

Is this purely a coincidence, is there an underlying problem, or am I just crazy?

So I had a Rockford Fosgate 150a2 for about 3 years, no problems. Then all of a sudden, bam. Right channel stops working. Did the RCA switcheroo test to make sure.

So I get a Phoenix Gold Amp 200watt somethin or other, the one with the fan, Im too lazy to look up what its called. I've had it for not too long, maybe about 6 months. Bam. The right channel goes out on that one. The channel just makes this noise that whines with the aceleration of the truck. Did the RCA switcheroo test to make sure.
So now maybe if im lucky It'll kick on for a song or two a day.

Is this just a coincidence, or is there something that could be causing my amp to go out? I rewired the speaker wire in the door, and went from there till I found the problem. I was stunned when I found out it was the amp, because of Phoenix Gold's reputation.

Ive been doing car audio for about 10 years now so I know all the wiring is right. . .

Anyone have any ideas, or is it just a streak of bad luck?
thanks for any help
Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 PM
nex-gensjdmteg

Default speaker problem

you have a blow speaker which is uping or droping which distroys the impedance handling of you amp it is not an amp problem it is a speaker problem
Old 03-11-2005, 08:27 PM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

Originally Posted by nex-gensjdmteg
you have a blow speaker which is uping or droping which distroys the impedance handling of you amp it is not an amp problem it is a speaker problem

That is not what he asked... :wtf:

To get to the point, you are right it could be a stroke of bad luck on your part. Since you know all your wiring well...did you solder the speaker wire connections. I would say that since you tried the RCA switcheroo and nothing worked I would try and possibly get new RCAs or try a different amp but it really should not be the amp, it could also be your deck. The best thing to do in this case would be to try your equipment (amp) on someone else's stuff to see if it is actually the amp or the RCAs. Just my :goodjob:
Old 03-22-2005, 02:36 PM
r2k2d2

well think about it...if you had a bad sub or a blown sub that could lead to this problem. if the sub is blown, it will no longer be 4ohms or 2 ohms or whatever the factory rated it at. if it is blown, it will be very very low, infinitely low. and, the amp is only rated to operate at a certain impedence or it will get to how and blow itself. v=ir where v is voltage i is current and r is resistance. voltage is not really going to change much since your source is a DC battery. so, lets rearrange and solve for i. i = v/r. so, if the resistance goes down, current increases. if resistance goes to 0 (zero) current will reach infinity. so, if the speaker goes bad it could exceed its current rating and burn out the channel.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by r2k2d2
well think about it...if you had a bad sub or a blown sub that could lead to this problem. if the sub is blown, it will no longer be 4ohms or 2 ohms or whatever the factory rated it at. if it is blown, it will be very very low, infinitely low. and, the amp is only rated to operate at a certain impedence or it will get to how and blow itself. v=ir where v is voltage i is current and r is resistance. voltage is not really going to change much since your source is a DC battery. so, lets rearrange and solve for i. i = v/r. so, if the resistance goes down, current increases. if resistance goes to 0 (zero) current will reach infinity. so, if the speaker goes bad it could exceed its current rating and burn out the channel.

At 0 OHM the amp will overheat in a matter of minutes. Usually that will cause the amp to go into protection mode and shit off to cool. He had the 2nd amp for 6 months, I dont think an amp can do 0 OHM for 6 months. But :dunno:
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Hoist
My name is Mud

guys -- thanks for the replies.
I am pretty sure my speakers aren't blown -- power ratings are adequate, no disortion and I havent turned them up excessively where it would cause any damage (yet).

So I took out my deck and rcas and rerouted everything, made sure all connections everywhere were good and nothing was pinching etc. It hasnt done it in about a week, so I hope it was just a matter of something pinching or pulling or grounding off in a weird place or something of that sort. I will let you know if it starts happening again. . .but very odd indeed. . .thanks for the help
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Geezus_Aach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WiLL
At 0 OHM the amp will overheat in a matter of minutes. Usually that will cause the amp to go into protection mode and shit off to cool. He had the 2nd amp for 6 months, I dont think an amp can do 0 OHM for 6 months. But :dunno:
the old Soundstream amps (Class A 10.2 & 5) ran at 1/4ohm. i remember the one I had with ratings were like... 12.5x2 @ 4 ohms also 2, 1, 1/2, and 1/4 @ 500w max. it lasted 1 year...

0 ohm is a meltdown
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Geezus_Aach
the old Soundstream amps (Class A 10.2 & 5) ran at 1/4ohm. i remember the one I had with ratings were like... 12.5x2 @ 4 ohms also 2, 1, 1/2, and 1/4 @ 500w max. it lasted 1 year...

0 ohm is a meltdown

Yea when you are getting that little resistance, youre just asking for overheating. I took my sub box out one day, and I forgot to secure the loose wires. They end up touching each other (the + and - ). My amp went into protection. I ran to the trunk and touched the amp, I couldnt keep my hand on it for more than 2 seconds. I am glad I didnt break anything.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:16 PM
KuttinEdge

Hoist
You may have temporarily solved your problem when you pulled on your headunit. Sometimes with all of the wiring bunched up in the back of the head unit, your RCAs can get pulled in every direction. Inside most head units, the RCAs are connected by a small plug that is connected into the PCB board. If pulled on enough, 1/2 of the plug will pull away from the pins and not make a connection on one of the channels. If the problem persists later down the road, open your headunit, follow the RCAs to the board, and make sure that the harness is completly plugged in.