Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Connecting Front Speakers to Amp

Old 03-07-2005, 09:59 PM
danton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Front Speakers to Amp

I have a 94 Civic EX, and I am trying to wire an amplifier to the door speakers. I was told I need to run speaker wire from the amp to the speakers which are in the door. To do this, I am supposed to run the speaker wire through the little black rubber tube that houses all the other wires that go into the door.
Looking at it right now, it almost seems impossible, the rubber housing that contains all the wires is so far back near the hinge that the more you open the door, the more it is closed off. Also, the wires are very difficult to follow into the car, they are up behind the clutch and everything...
Has anyone done this successfully before and if so, are there any steps to make it easier?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

You can make your own hole if you can't reach the existing hole. Another option is running the speaker wire from your amp to the factory speaker wire at the head unit harness and splicing into that.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 AM
danton

Will that factory wire be capable of supporting, say 40 watts as opposed to the 22.5 currently running through there? Or would I need a bigger gauge?
thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Falkon
still alive

You can push a lot more power through the stock wiring than you think. I had to splice into my factory harness on my Sol. It will definately handle 100w.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:24 AM
mean-azz-acura
Grand Sport-Race

alright, with my integra, i did the same thing. i mounted my amps in the hatch, and ran wires up to the doors, i mounted my crossovers, then, things got crazy. i discovered that there isnt a handful of wires just running through that rubber tube youre talkin about, theres a plug, so i unplugged the wires an realized that theres no hole to feed the wire through, so i pulled the pin from the lil door stop, popped off the lil clips on the door pins, an used a hammer and a punch an pulled the pins out and actually took off the door. it sounds crazy but its not that hard to do. a lil time consuming but really worth the effort. the doors are a lil on the heavy side, with the doors sitting on some styrofoam insulation, i drilled a lil hole just above the female end of the harness so i could snake my wires through the tube with a coat hanger and keep them concealed. i stuck in these lil plastic peices so the wires wouldnt get tore up in the drilled hole. i dunno your wiring situation, but i only had the leads from my tweeter an midrange that only had to go to the kick panels where they connect to the crossovers. with the door off, but resting close to the door opening, you can feed the wire through the outside into the back side of the dash. easy...........
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

Removing your door is more effort than it's worth unless you intend to show the system and its wiring. I did it for my doors and it was a pain in the ass drilling through the door (I snapped 2 drill bits). Also, re-attaching the door just right so it closes exactly the same way takes some time and work.

Just splice the wires if you're not going all-out. The factory wires will handle the power just fine.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:10 PM
mean-azz-acura
Grand Sport-Race

taking the door off is maybe a twenty minute job...both doors. too easy for anyone with any mechanical inclination whatsoever. theres a door stop, that stops the door from swinging open too far as you may have guessed. you pop that pin out, then there are two lil c-clips holding two more, larger pins, which the door actually pivots on. you arent taking out or loosening any bolts that would throw the door off in any way. its like a door in your house, you need to take it off for any reason, you slide the pins, dont unscrew the hinge. as for breaking drill bits, i used a 3/8" and a dewalt and i did it easily on one battery pack. this whole removing of the doors, including mounting mids and highs, and running wire to the interior of the car may have taken an hour and a half. work smarter not harder, an do it right so you arent cooking some skinny lil factory wire.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 PM
danton

wow, removing the door, huh... sounds a little bit daunting, and this is my first time ever building a system/doing work on a car but I got spring break coming up next week so if weather permits I guess I will look into it...

thanks for all yer guys' help
Old 03-10-2005, 02:33 AM
mean-azz-acura
Grand Sport-Race

its not a huge in depth project, its actually so much easier, i wish id thought of it earlier cuz i spent like a whole hour tryin to snake wire through from the inside of the door. ill even post a pic of when i did it, not the best picture, but this is a 00 gs-r, i wouldnt do anything to scar my baby, an i dove in and i even did it by myself. you wont hurt the civic dude, dont worry...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGA1143.JPG (30.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-10-2005, 06:20 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

when i ran my wires to my doors, i popped the black rubber thingy out of both sides, ran the wire through the metal hole.. gave me a lot of slack, compressed the rubber thing so i cuold just slip it through it, then ran the wire into the door. then i jsut popped the rubber back into each hole.

i didnt feel like reading the whole thread, but i read mean-ass-ac say that there wasnt a hole to put the wire through when they ddi it to their teg. if thats the case.. cant help ya h: