Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

DIY amp and woofers

Old 03-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Lt.woohoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY amp and woofers

I have basically no car audio installation experinence, except i recently found out in order to install rear 6x9s in the back of my 00 civic ex I had to remove the entire interior in the rear of the car and which i figured out the hard way but got it done in three hours. Anyway, I want to save money by installing an amp and sub myself. Is this more trouble than i think it is as far as running the wires and everything? I am also thinking about installing the infinity basslink or should i go with a seperate amp and woofer? Which one will have better sound for about five hundred bucks?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

Install it yourself, it's not that hard. And for $500, you can do WAY better than a Basslink. Check out subs from Infinity, Image Dynamics, Elemental Designs, Resonant Engineering, JL, Diamond Audio, Adire, Kicker, etc... You can find good amps from JL, Kicker, Elemental Designs, Hifonics, JBL, Diamond Audio, Xtant, etc...
Old 03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Lt.woohoo

i have $500 to spend on amp and sub. what size amp do you think i should get if i just want it for more kick but to sound really good yet i am not a bass fanatic. I mean i like bass but i dont want to spend too much on it.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:16 AM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

I have an MA Audio amp and those things are small and very powerful. I get it new off of ebay with a 2 year warranty from MA audio. My subs are the aluminum cone audibahns also new off of ebay and I bought a box here in town and the wiring here in town also and it all ran me about $375 of course I did it myself its really easy to do, just a little patience is all. I am pushing about 300 Watts a sub and I have 12s. Its really clean and I can make it mean if I wanted to, I like how it sounds doesn't rattle the trunk much.

Also, make sure that you do not get a hatchback box, you can but you might regret it. The hatchback boxes are at a slant in the front. The ones you want are the ones pointed straight back to the trunk like towards your taillights. From the dynamics of the sound waves you will get better response and tighter bass. Just a little FYI
Old 03-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Lt.woohoo

Cool thanks. I will check into it.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Bricks2k4civic

Definatly do it yourself. I did mine with absolutly no experience. I spent several months and a lot of money trying to get it right, but i finally got it right. More importantly, i've never had to pay someone to fix shit with it. KNOW YOUR OWN SYSTEM.