Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Newbie wanting to learn...

Old 01-26-2005, 08:20 AM
bjchoi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie wanting to learn...

Hey all,

I don't know anything about stereos and stuff, but I want to learn. I've got a '96 Accord LX w/ factory everything. I want to eventually upgrade my speakers, maybe put in some tweeters (is this feasible w/o making new holes in the door panels?), and a sub. I've looked at www.installdr.com and www.installer.com (both sites suggested in other threads I read), but I think I need more basic info...

Also, can anybody suggest some places I can go to check out ratings on various amps, decks, etc? Also, more info on getting the proper tools for this stuff. I read that I need a soldering iron, and other tools. Is this all stuff I can get at a local hardware store?

I know I've got a lot of questions, but I want to learn, so I want to do it all myself. Not really afraid of some trial and error.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 AM
strychnine
i am legend

installdr.com is good if you are installing a head unit, not a whole lot else. the12volt.com has some great information and their wiring database has helped tremendously (you have to register to get to that, but they don't spam you).

You can mount tweeters with some good double sided tape but you'll have to find a way to route the wires without them showing. There's lots of information out there about sub installs, it's very simple. hardest thing to do is figure out how to route your wires and if you want to do a real good job you have to take your interior apart ( a lot simpler than it sounds).

newer amp specs can be found at crutchfield.com, epinions.com is good for some things also.

For basic amp/stereo install, you need basic hand tools (screwdrivers/maybe wrenches or sockets/other things most people have), you can go the crimp tool/solderless method for most things if you choose to, for that you need a crimp tool and connectors, most parts places have these and i know radio shack does.

or you can go the soldering method and you'll need solder and a soldering iron/gun and some heat shrink tubing(preferred) or electrical tape. it takes a little practice but it's not hard at all.

and you've got the willingness to learn so good luck and welcome to han
Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

For tools, I use a screw driver, wire strippers, crimpers, electrical tape and sockets... If im not mistaken, they have a wiring kit at Advance or AutoZone, with the crimpers, the crimp connectors, and tape... I dont use solder, never have yet... And I installed the stereos, in 2 of my cars, my girls car, my brothers car, my moms car, and more... Like strychnine said, youll have to learn to discect your interior, without braking it, its not really that hard, most parts just pop out... Takes a little common sense...

As far as wiring, speakers, are just possitive (+) and negative (-)... You run the wires back to your amp, make sure to keep the right polarity (+ and -)... So they are pretty easy to wire up... Amps are semi hard, and head units/decks can get confusing, but if u know whats there, and how it works, u can find out which is which...

Amps need 3 wires for power, positive (to the battery), remote turn on (to the head unit, or a fuse that turns on with the car), and ground... Then u have RCA cord(s) that come from the head unit, and then the speaker wires to the speakers...

Head units/decks are basically the same as far as wiring the power, they need possitive (always has power), remote turn on (ignition on supplies power), and ground... The problem, is finding out which wires from your harness, are which of the 3 wires, (your stock harness is about 10 to 20 wires, 3 for power, some for speakers, and other things)... Once u have the power wires wired, the deck will turn on, the hard part is done... Then you plug in the antenna wire (only one place it can go, biggest wire with round metal connector on the end), the RCAs to the amp(s), and your done... (hope im not forgetting something...hehe)
Old 01-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Schwa
Schiggity

solder and heat shrink tubing is more durable and better quality install in my opinion. With crimping there is a chance your connections may come loose.

For the basic of the basic all you need is electrical tape and scissors (to cut and strip) and just twist your wires together. :P
Old 01-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by Schwa
solder and heat shrink tubing is more durable and better quality install in my opinion. With crimping there is a chance your connections may come loose.

Very true...
Old 01-27-2005, 05:10 AM
bjchoi

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I'll check out the12volt.com and those other sites when I get a chance.

I can't believe I didn't discover HAN until just now...