Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

newbie's sub and amp install...

Old 01-04-2005, 06:34 AM
newbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie's sub and amp install...

hey I just received a set of a sub and an amp for free... without wires tho...

amp was 400 or 460 W I think.. I wanna know if I can install this by myself...

and what kind of wires should I buy? I saw some 4 or 8 diff. sets of stuff..

I've done many searches.. but since I'm totally newb at this section..
I have

hard time understanding unless it's exactly same as my car...

I have 02 accord sedan. 4cyl.. I'm not even sure if this info needs..

this sub and amp was installed on someone else's and on his car I think the power was connected from battery and wires from amp was connceted to left rear speaker...
also for the each wire.. (battery part : he had some clear about cell phone size plastic box in the middle of wire from power line to battery) and (left rear speaker part : black plastic about size as cigarette lighter was doing something to original speaker wire and amp wire...).. sorry bad description...

o and I've read some ppl's problem with making a switch for an amp??
should I make a switch too? isn't that just cut the power line and connect with switch ??

thanks ....
Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

ok, lets see where to start.

don't want to connect the amp to a speaker, it should connect directly to the HEAD UNIT. Through an RCA out connector.

The cell phone sized thing was probably a fuse holder. they can get fancy, but they are pretty simple in design. You should definatly use one of those.

Something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9yj7r77...=711&I=211PS8B
would have pretty much everything you need to install it. Not bad for $35.

Hardest part is getting through the firewall for the power cable. 8 gauge power should do fine for that amp, I use 8 gauge on my heavy drawing 400watt amp and it's fine. Anything bigger is going to be much harder to run through the car.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 AM
orbit77

if you don't think you'll add more amps i would use the four gauge for later use. but if not 8awg should be good enough for you.

the clear plastic case in the engine bay was the fuse holder. the black box coming off the speaker was a line out converter. basicly its for when you don't have rca outs on your stereo.

yes usually the switch your talking about is just a lil toggle switch that is hook into the remote wire so you can turn it on or off. i only install those on car that people want to have that annoying loud bass so they can turn it on if a cop drives by. i say just don't be that butthole and turn down your stereo.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:55 PM
odiepsock
Bad driver

crutchfield has a video... It explains a lot.... you should watch it. heres the link

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...tml?format=wmv

As for the switch...dont put a switch between the actual 8 guage wire.. the amp draw will fry it like a monzerella stick. put it on the rem or remote turn on wire.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:52 PM
yeedatoy
Banned

go buy a full amp kit from the store,any car audio place should have one.it should come with 5 wires,-power wire,ground wire,rca wires,rem wire and speaker wire.it should also come with a fuse box with a fuse in it.the power and ground wires should be the biggest wires,the power is longer than the ground wire.connect the power wire to the positive battery terminal and connect the other end to the place on your amp it should be,it will usually say 12v above it.now cut the power wire in two somewhere under your hood with the battery disconnected.connect the fuse box between each piece of the power wireyou cut .next is the ground wire.this wire needs to be connected to any thing metal on the cars chassis,like a bolt in your trunk or something.make sure you sand the paint off of anything metal u connect it to for better current.now connect the other end to the amp.the rem wire is the really really skinny one.connect one end to the fuse in your fuse box that says radio or cigarrete lighter,and the other end to the amp.this is what will turn on your amplifier when you start the car.rem is short for remote.rca wires are two wires connected with plugs at the ends,connect them to the back of your cd player,red into red white into white obviously,and the other end to the amp,if there is more than one set of rca plugs on the amp.speaker wires go from the amp to your subwoofers,make sure none of your wires are much longer than you need them to be for the best sound.re-connect the battery...ok-troubleshooting

amp wont turn-try different grounding spots,make sure the battery connction is tight enough,try different fuses for the rem

how do i get the power wire into the car?-look for a rubber area under the hood near your dash(firewall)poke a hole in it and run the wire through/or run the power wire behind your fender and pull it throug by the front door/or drill a damn hole somewhere

all my wires are showing and it looks like shit--pull off the panels on the floor under yor doors,they should snap off,run the wires underneath and put them back on.

damn im tired of typing-just ask me more questions if you need to
Old 01-05-2005, 02:07 PM
strychnine
i am legend

pretty much what has been said covers it.

just buy a scosche wiring kit from walmart and you should be covered. they run about 25 bucks or so.

and yeah if you want to put a toggle switch on put it on the remote wire (gonna be blue if you get the scosche kit). i have one but only because i don't always want the subs going.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:30 PM
yeedatoy
Banned

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/762006