Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Installing rear deck speakers in a 96 Civic LX

Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
cj99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing rear deck speakers in a 96 Civic LX

Do I have to remove the deck or do the grills come off?

CJ
Old 12-27-2004, 06:30 PM
VPUPPY

is this a coupe or sedan? the back does have to come off, its harder on the coupes rather than the sedans.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
cj99

Sedan. I read where you can get the speaker grilles off but was told at the insatller the deck had to come off.

How hard is it and will I need special tools?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:36 PM
billscivic00

you will need time and patience....never did a 4 door, but the coupe...you gotta take out the seat, the belts, and then start pulling on the pieces...stupid little clips suck Dont need any special tools, just basic wrench and screw driver probally
Old 12-27-2004, 08:46 PM
VPUPPY

this was a quick writeup i did for a 2003 civic sedan from a earlier post. should be really similar if i remember correctly. the reason the back deck needs to come off is because its all one piece of plastic. if the grills can come off, they would be screwed in from the bottom(integras are like this). you can check by laying down in your trunk facing up an look around each speaker. there should be some screw(really shiny) set in some holes that look like they are holding the grill in. i don't believe your car is like this, but you can check.

here you go:

you need to remove the side panels on the sides of the back window by popping them out because they are clipped in, don't worry about the removing it from the seat belt because you just leave it hanging. then disconnect the third brake light bulb, and the back deck is held in by clips so just pop it up, but don't force too hard. if i remember correctly you neeed to remove the sides of back seat(back part thats left when the seat is folded down on each side). this can be done by removing the bottom seat cushion(i think there is one 10mm bolt almost close the center or at the center that holds this in, right between the seat back and the back of the seat cushion. then pull up on the back of the cushion and its hooked in the the front, just unhook it with the seat cushion vertical), then after the seat cushion is gone on each back side piece is held in by a 10 or 12 mm bolt on the bottom. there may be seat belts attached to these so remember how they come out. after the bolts are gone you need to push up towards the rear window and it will slide out. this is because there is a hook on the top of each side piece holding it in. then you need to just pop up the back deck, but i believe there is a trim piece that goes across the top of the opening when the seat is folded down, so just unclip it. i may be forgetting some things cuz its been a while but this is the bulk of the work. take your time so you don't break anything.