Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

91 CRX headunit wiring probs

Old 12-12-2004, 10:55 AM
offtheline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 CRX headunit wiring probs

Hey guys. Im new here as I am a nissan guy... but I am trying to wire up a headunit for my girlfriend's mom in her 91 CRX. The people that had the car before just tore out their stereo and cut all of the wires down to the black loom. So, I got the 88 CRX wiring diagram and wired it up as I think it should be. I connected the ground on the unit to the black wire in the bundle. I then connected the power line on the unit to the red/black wire in the bundle. I didn't use the white/blue wire. However, the headunit doesn't work.

So, if any of you are familiar with the wiring for a CRX, could you tell me if I am connecting power and ground correctly? I unfortunately dont have a multimeter so I can't really test the voltages. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:20 AM
VPUPPY

if all the wires were cut before, check all fuses for blown fuses. this is most likely whats wrong. also, off the radio and off the cars wires there should be 2 power wires. off the radio the red wire goes to the 12v switched which should goto the yellow/red strip wire. then the yellow wire out of the radio should goto 12v constant wire which should be the white/blue wire. the ground wire should goto the black wire of the car. these are generic honda wire colors, you need to test with a voltmeter to check these wires and if these colors are incorrect its because there is changes in the harnesses wire colors between cars/years. i would check all wiring then after you have verified the wires are correctly hooked up, check the fuses THEN try to use the radio by turning the car on.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:36 PM
offtheline

Hey, thanks so much for your reply. See, in the wire bundle, there was no yellow/red wire. I was looking for it, but the only one i have is the white/blue wire. The wiring diagram for the 88 said that there should be a yellow/red one too. I guess I just need to go and buy a voltmeter to see if maybe one of the wires is substituted for the yellow/red. Should the white/blue and yellow/red both have 12V? Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:09 PM
VPUPPY

yes, they both should have 12v, one should test constant(without key in ignition) and one is switched 12v(with key in on position or accessory).
Old 12-12-2004, 06:13 PM
offtheline

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
yes, they both should have 12v, one should test constant(without key in ignition) and one is switched 12v(with key in on position or accessory).
Thanks so much.