Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2003 Accord EX-L V6 sound system . . .

Old 10-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Jason1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord EX-L V6 sound system . . .

I know a lot of people don't like Sony, but what do y'all think of the following setup (on a budget):

Amp: Sony XM-DS1300P5 400W RMS x 1 @ 2 Ohms

which will push:
Sub: Sony XS-LD125P5 12" 400W RMS

Also, I'm replacing the factory speakers with:

6.5s: Sony XS-HD160G 50W RMS
6x9s: Sony XS-HD690G 60W RMS

I'm leaving the factory AM/FM 6-disc CD changer head unit because it's just soooo nice looking & convenient. We'll see how the factory head unit sounds with all aftermarket speakers, sub, and amp.

I've already installed the 6x9s and they sound much better. I've also already wired the amp. I'm just waiting for the sub enclosure to arrive to hook it up.

I'll be installing the 6.5s one night this week. I took the door panel off to check it out & didn't see how the speakers were mounted. There were no screws. Are they just snapped in place by the plastic encasing that the speakers are in? Do I just pry them out?

Has anyone else replaced all the factory speakers & added an amp & sub without changing the head unit? If so, how does it sound?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:48 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

you'll definatly end up with much better sound. Leaving the stock deck is a VERY good choice, you'd be crazy to take it out, it just fits so nicely in the dash. Maybe someday down the road when you want to or can sink a little more money into the stereo, get a 4 channel amp for the cabin speakers and and get a nice audiocontrol piece to control everything.

Sony amps and subs arent all that bad... its just their decks that really suck.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:26 AM
Jason1972

Default Audio control piece?

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
you'll definatly end up with much better sound. Leaving the stock deck is a VERY good choice, you'd be crazy to take it out, it just fits so nicely in the dash. Maybe someday down the road when you want to or can sink a little more money into the stereo, get a 4 channel amp for the cabin speakers and and get a nice audiocontrol piece to control everything.

Sony amps and subs arent all that bad... its just their decks that really suck.
What do you mean by audio control piece? An equalizer? What would you suggest.

Yeah, I'll add a 4-channel amp probably next summer. I was under the impression that with the 6-disc changer there was no output for me to plug a converter into (to convert the stock harness to RCA outputs), but when I had the lower din out to run the wiring, I clearly saw the harness for what I guess would be the optional DVD navigation system. So, now I know I'll have a place to run RCA outputs for another amp. I have the mono amp wired through the high level outputs.