Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What type of Amp do you reccomend for the following install...

Old 10-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Mr. IROC-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of Amp do you reccomend for the following install...

Hi Guys,
Here is my planned configuration for my 1997 GS Integra (qty4) 6.5 Polk/Momo Speakers-coaxial (MMC650)(160 rms) , 2 tweeters, subwoofer, and Sony head Unit (52Wx4) .

Do you guys reccomend a 5 channel amp, or 4 channel?
I just want clean sound..not going for any competition or anything...just want to make it sounds nice and clean.
Please also reccomend any brand types and possibly how much power I need to run this configuration.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tommy
Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
rcurley55

you are not providing enough info for your question to be answered

First, what kind of tweeters are they and why are you using them? Second, why rear speakers, and why co-ax? Third, why a sony headunit? Fourth, what kind of sub? Fifth what's your budget?

I would change it up alot actually....

Newer Sony headunits suck - simple as that - I rarely talk poorly about products or make blanket statements, but they are not the best units ou there from a quality perspective.

You willl get better sound out of a set of components then co-axs - especially if you have a sub to fill out the bottom end and you have an amp. I have not run rear speakers in a car for over 4 years now, and I don't plan on starting, so why not take the money you would spend on the rears, and put them into better speakers that are up front where you are?

If you must have rears, put in the cheapest thing you can find and turn them way down - better yet, leave the factory speakers in there.

Then get your sub, but you must choose an amp before the sub. That said, just get one 4 channel amp to power the whole thing - components off the front sub off the rear channels.

That's what I would do...
Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Mr. IROC-Z

Originally Posted by rcurley55

First, what kind of tweeters are they and why are you using them?
-I don't have the tweeters yet, but I am looking at somthing simple that will fit in the stock location.

Second, why rear speakers, and why co-ax?
-I like to have rear speakers to get better imaging and 'depth' in my music.

Third, why a sony headunit?
-I am a Sony nut. Everything I own is Sony. For this project, I did look at the Pioneer 7600, but the Sony look and features were nicer. Also the fact that the Sony deck has Aux outputs (for my ipod) while they are just optional with the Pioneer. The head unit I got is the CDX-F7705X...a nice lil set up.

Fourth, what kind of sub?
- I don't have the sub yet. I am thinking just a Bazooka tube or a decent 10" enclosure.
Fifth what's your budget?
-Thus far, I have already spent about $350 on components. Thus, an amp $200 plus another $200 for the sub box.

Newer Sony headunits suck - simple as that - I rarely talk poorly about products or make blanket statements, but they are not the best units ou there from a quality perspective.
-I have never ever had a quality issue with my Sony products (tv's, stereo, cameras, walkman)

You willl get better sound out of a set of components then co-axs - especially if you have a sub to fill out the bottom end and you have an amp. I have not run rear speakers in a car for over 4 years now, and I don't plan on starting, so why not take the money you would spend on the rears, and put them into better speakers that are up front where you are?

If you must have rears, put in the cheapest thing you can find and turn them way down - better yet, leave the factory speakers in there.

Then get your sub, but you must choose an amp before the sub. That said, just get one 4 channel amp to power the whole thing - components off the front sub off the rear channels.

Answers in the message above.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:27 PM
tjr5150

1--he has a point.....

2---run what you want as far as brand name....
this is what i did i got a 90 accord i run a sony head unit 2 yrs old have keenwood 6x9's and 6 1/2's with kicker nd 13 and nd 25 tweeter's and 2 10 inch vr comp's for amp's i run a punch 2002 for subs and a lighting audio
250 x4 all run through a sony passive eq you can hear me for blocks if i want it to be heard and sounds good with all types of music but best of all it is crisp and clean so no matter what you run i would recomend an eq.....
just my 2 cents
Old 10-07-2004, 06:32 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by rcurley55

First, what kind of tweeters are they and why are you using them? Second, why rear speakers, and why co-ax? Third, why a sony headunit? Fourth, what kind of sub? Fifth what's your budget?

Personally I would never ever ever ever ever only change my front speakers and leave my back ones stock. Your gonna mess up your amp and the sound will be all distorded.

Sony headunits are good despite what anyone says.
Everyone has mixed reviews about different units.
He says it may suck, someone else will say it doesnt.

I've been using sony head units ever since i got in the car audio scene.
I've had more problems with pioneer, kenwood head units and never with sony.
I have the Sony XAV 7W 7in screen and that works like a charm.

If your going to upgrade your interior speakers upgrade them all.
If you want a basic setup then go right ahead and get the speakers you mentioned.
You wont really notice any difference with components vs co-ax.

My setup

Sony XAV 7W
Pyle - single DIN DVD/VCD/MP3 Player
Front - Pioneer speakrs Rear - 6x9 pioneer
Memphis Audio 75 x4 4 channel amp ( HAd a sony amp 75x4 and it sounded louder than the memphis amp i have now )
Audiobahn 8000T mono 1 chan amp
1 12' Kicker solo Baric S12L5.
Sony XM Tuner ( XT XM1 )
Sony Tv Tuner ( XT 63V )
Sony 6 disc changer
Old 10-07-2004, 09:24 AM
rcurley55

Hey it's all in execution and what you prefer....running factory speakers in the rear won't hurt your amp or make things distort if you know how to install properly.

I used to run the following:
Pioneer DEH-9200 (something or other - it's been a while)
Diamond Audio Hex S600s
IDQ12 v2
Rockford Fosgate 600a4

I ran the factory rear speakers off the headunit, highpassed so they didn't distort, and only used them with passengers in the rear seats. The rest of the system ran off of the one amp. Very simple system and sounded very balanced.

That said, I wouldnt' suggest a second set of tweeters anywhere - use what comes on the co-ax or components.

Rear speakers will do nothing but destroy "imaging" in the true sense, but if this is the sound you prefer, then go for it - everyone likes different things.

And for the record, I've never had a problem with my Sony products (tv's, stereo, cameras, walkman), but I have had a number of headunits be either bad out of the box or go bad with-in a year...therefore I have sworn off of them, again, that's just my advise.

You asked for opinions - those are mine. It's your money, so do what will make you happy
Old 10-09-2004, 04:44 PM
EX-R

alright here's something good for you :

you have 2 choices
1st if you go with a 5 channel amp, well you power up everything (but do you really need to? I think that if you only want a better sound in your ride and your not doing this for db drag, then this is not your best choice.)

So now you have to decide if your coax. speakers relly need to be amplified.. because for sure you will need to power your subwoofer and the amp that power a sub. is a mono or a dual channel block. I'd recommend you to go with a 250-300 W RMS amp (mono amp) and to plug a single 12" subwoofer..

For example I would use the GM-D510M (pioneer mono channel amp.) at 4 ohm to use with an Alpine Type R subwoofer (12") or a Pheonix gold Octane ZR sub. (12"too)

so your best bet is to add power to your sub. without powering your coax. + tweeters with an amp because of the tweeters, you don't relly need that much power ....
Old 10-09-2004, 11:26 PM
97teg

I really dont think its worth it to build a system around deck power. I highly doubt the deck will be able to keep up with the bass and youll probably end up blowing something out. I dont know why a 5 channel would be used in db drag. Using an amp to power all the interior speakers and a sub is good if you have the money but it is harder to find good 5 channels. It would probably be easier to buy a 4 channel and a 2 or 1 channel amp for just the sub.
Personally I would run a good 4 channel on the fronts and bridged to the sub then power the rears by the deck. If you want more power then just buy a 2 channel later. Id only figure on getting half of that 54 wattsx 4 of the head unit in clean power, maybe if that.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:47 AM
SamuraiBill

Originally Posted by Mr. IROC-Z
Hi Guys,
Here is my planned configuration for my 1997 GS Integra (qty4) 6.5 Polk/Momo Speakers-coaxial (MMC650)(160 rms) , 2 tweeters, subwoofer, and Sony head Unit (52Wx4) .

Do you guys reccomend a 5 channel amp, or 4 channel?
I just want clean sound..not going for any competition or anything...just want to make it sounds nice and clean.
Please also reccomend any brand types and possibly how much power I need to run this configuration.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tommy
First of all sell the sony head unit and get an Alpine .

Unless you plan on carrying alot of people around leave the back speaks stock. The reason i say this is because the sound in the back is filler noise and doesn't need to be as clear as the sound coming from the front of the car.

If you are looking for really good multichannel amps ARC is the only way to go.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Mr. IROC-Z

Hi Folks,
Thank for all your inputs.
This is what I installed this weekend;

4 Polk Momo 6.5 inch front and rear (Coaxial)
1 Sony deck (MP3)
1 Kicker 700.5 (5 channel amp)
1 Kicker 12" sub sealed box

All I can say is WOW! This thing hits soo hard and is so clear and crisp!
The sound quality is simply amazing. These Polk speakers only distort at very high levels...you can't even sit in the car when they are that loud anyway. The kicker amp is bad ass. It has more than enough power to handle what I have.
The Sony head unit is pretty sick also. It has a bunch of kool features like an interanl EQ and DSQ system! I have also hooked up my IPOD to the aux-rear inputs, and I have 20 gigs of music on tap!
In any case, just wanted to let you guys know the outcome of my install.
It took about 7 hrs. I took my time and did everything right.
Thanks for the tips guys!

Tommy