Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

New Amp(s) and Subs

Old 09-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Nighthawk8k
Custom User Title:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Amp(s) and Subs

Hey im a 100% noob when it comes to car audio, so bear with me
ok so I want to get 2 12" subs, a sub enclosure, and an amp... but do I need 2 mono chan amps or 1 2- channel amp or what, pretending money isn't an object...?
These are the subs I was looking at, are they good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
and what kinda amps or one amp are good to power the subs, or what subs are better than these? Also what kinda wires and stuff should I get, im a noob at that too... :P
Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT
I like these better -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Now my question is can a mono chan amp power 2 subs or not, cuz im such a noob... do i need a 2 chan amp???? help plz!!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:44 PM
b00gers

A mono amp can power as many subs as you can throw at it as long as it has the power at the right impedance (OHM).

You can use a mono amp to power a pair of subs. You should do some research online and get familiar with bridging amps, impedance, and SVC v. DVD. A good place to start is actually JL's site, http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/index.html

Then come back with more questions.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Nighthawk8k
Custom User Title:

Thanks will do.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
pnthr30

I have a single Type R 10" and love it! I would imagine 2 12's would sound great if put in the correct size box and adequately powered! FYI - the Type R's are a bit more of a SQ sub as opposed to a SPL sub..........meaning they may not be the loudest in town, but they reproduce the bass a bit better/cleaner. If you just want loud shaking bass, you may want to opt for a different sub, but if you want bass that is accurate as well as loud (plenty loud for me), the R's are a good choice.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Nighthawk8k
Custom User Title:

Originally Posted by pnthr30
I have a single Type R 10" and love it! I would imagine 2 12's would sound great if put in the correct size box and adequately powered! FYI - the Type R's are a bit more of a SQ sub as opposed to a SPL sub..........meaning they may not be the loudest in town, but they reproduce the bass a bit better/cleaner. If you just want loud shaking bass, you may want to opt for a different sub, but if you want bass that is accurate as well as loud (plenty loud for me), the R's are a good choice.
Thanks, what kind of amp do you have?
I'm thinking of getting a bandpass box but I'm not sure if a regular enclosure would sound better...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8k
I'm thinking of getting a bandpass box but I'm not sure if a regular enclosure would sound better...
Sealed boxes: Easy to build, saves space, sounds good.

Ported boxes: Louder than sealed enclosures, harder to build because you have to tune the port, uses up a little more space than a sealed.

Bandpass: Haven't mess with those.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:08 AM
pnthr30

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8k
I have a Rockford Fosgate 250a2 (bridged) pushing the sub (DVC 2 ohm). To be honest, I would make a sealed box if I were you. Again, these subs are built for a combination of accuracy and volume - some of the accuracy is lost in a bandpass box. I had a single 12" in a bandpass box before this, and to be honest, the 10" Type R is all around better (louder, more thump, more accurate).....I couldn't be happier. The 12" that I had in a bandpass wasn't nearly as nice of a sub (older HiFonics Zeus), but it was ok for what I used it for (same amp).

Also, the sealed box will be much easier to build, not to mention take up a fraction of the space that a bandpass box would. IMHO I don't think you would be disappointed with a sealed enclosure.

Originally Posted by Will
Sealed boxes: Easy to build, saves space, sounds good.

Ported boxes: Louder than sealed enclosures, harder to build because you have to tune the port, uses up a little more space than a sealed.

Bandpass: Haven't mess with those.
:werd: X 4564132756
Bandpass boxes are just as hard as ported ones to make correctly. Plan ahead, make a sealed box, and call it a day.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Nighthawk8k
Custom User Title:

Ok I'll go with a sealed one
and im still looking for an amp for them, hopefully ill find that soon, and should i just pick up a wire pack or something from circuit city / best buy or should i get one on ebay... ?
thanks for the help
EDIT:
what do you think of this amp, is it good to power the 2 subs?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...719548164&rd=1
Old 09-08-2004, 05:13 PM
97teg

I would buy the dual 2 ohm type r's if your getting a pair and going to buy that particular amp. Im wondering if 400 watts will be enough. I would also be careful of buying jl audio online cause they are one of the more strict brands when it comes to getting stuff repaired.