Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Whirring noise from Civic dashboard

Old 08-14-2004, 12:35 AM
rincewind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring noise from Civic dashboard

Hi, this is going to sound like a thousand posts that have come before (ie the old "my new car stereo whines.. what's wrong?! "incorrect grounding.. etc etc"), but it's not.

I just had a new stereo installed. I now have a strange whirring noise that seems to come from directly behind the a/c and temp controls. It happens when the revs go over about .. well i I don't know cos I don't have a tacho (It's an 96 Aussie CXi model), but I'd say whenever I rev high enough to need to change gears.. so probably between 2 and 5 thou?..

This sound happens without the face plate on (eg no signal to speakers etc). Now, I figured there may still be some kind of noise produced by the head unit (e.g. to do with wiring... clutching at straws here), so I diconnected the positive terminal from the battery to the stereo setup. So now I think I can safely say that if the sound happens, it's not made by the stereo right?

Well, I still get the sound. The fact that the sound originates from behind the dash instead of any of the speakers makes me suspect the audio install guy has given something a knock.. or possibly not connected up something properly..

Do you guys know what this sound might be? What A/C connections (or anything else ) are there behind the dash that could make a buzzing sound that is very obviously dependant on engine speed?

Everything sounds fine from the engine bay (have had others listen too, just to check).

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:15 PM
rincewind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have now also checked the hole in the firewall through which the power comes. The grommet was pretty shabbily done, so replaced it with a tighter one. No difference. Also plugged up completely with blue tac just to be sure. No difference.
Still searching..