Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

factory speaker wiring: stay or go?

Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory speaker wiring: stay or go?

I posted before w/questions about where to drill/mount my amp and I got it figured out, thanks to you guys. I've run into one more issue I'm not sure about though...

I am wiring an 55Wrmsx4 4-channel amp to power my front door and rear deck speakers in a 1997 accord. My original plan was to splice the wires at the wiring harness behind my headunit but I feel like I am going to run into problems there matching 16 and 22 gauge wire, plus, I feel like that's a lot of wire to stuff behind the headunit. Also, I have heard different stories about whether or not replacing factory wire makes a big difference. Which leads me to my big question:

Would it be a better idea to cut and tape off the factory wire to the rear speakers and just wire them directly from the amp? This seems like the way to go for me but then I've got that factory wire just hanging around in the car, still plugged into my headunit.

Then, for the front speakers, is it better to do the same thing and then run the wire from inside the door to the amp in the trunk? I'm just wondering if this is worth all of the work (and door-taking-apart ) to replace the factory speaker wire rather than just splicing into my HU harness.

I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions on this...thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 08:47 PM
alpha

it sounds fine if you don't run new wire to them. but for best quality, i recommend running new wire to them.. as for the wire connected from the head unit to the factory speaker wiring, that shouldn't be needed if you are connected to amps through preouts. it doesn't do anything at that point.

its up to you if you want to run the wires to the speakers, it's probably recommended to for best quality, but not necessary..

where are the amps mounted? if in the trunk, it should be fairly easy to run wires to the rear deck..
Old 08-11-2004, 05:19 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Yeah...that makes sense. I've got the amp mounted on the trunk floor, so it would be easy to just snip those wires and run the new ones to the rear speakers. Those factory wires will be fine if I just tape them off?

Also, once I've got the door panel off, what's the easiest way to route the speaker wire from the trunk to the front door speakers? Thanks again...
Old 08-11-2004, 08:14 AM
alpha

Originally Posted by dave97LX
Yeah...that makes sense. I've got the amp mounted on the trunk floor, so it would be easy to just snip those wires and run the new ones to the rear speakers. Those factory wires will be fine if I just tape them off?

Also, once I've got the door panel off, what's the easiest way to route the speaker wire from the trunk to the front door speakers? Thanks again...
umm.. do you not still have the stock plug for the speakers, and have just used a speaker harness adapter for the aftermarkets? if not, i suppose it would be ok, but disclaimer applies. i take no responsibility. make sure you don't tape them together, tape them separately, and make sure they don't come in contact with one another.

as for the front doors, you can use something to get through the grommet to help you. i've heard the best way is to use power wire, 8 guage would be good, to help run the speaker wires through the grommet in between the door and the car.

again, disclaimer applies.. i take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong..
Old 08-12-2004, 07:17 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

my friend and I did the install last night (11PM-5AM ) but everything went perfectly on the first try and man does it sound great! thanks for your help.

the biggest hurdle was the front door speaker wiring, as the only passage into the door is occupied (entirely) by the window/lock/light wiring harness. It took a while (and some knifing ) for us to do it but the solution there is to punch the wiring harness out of that hole and into the door panel so that there is room to wire. Getting it through that rubber boot was hell, too...but it all worked out in the end and was definitely worth the sweat.

One last thing...the plastic pillar cover between the front/rear passenger doors (the one with the seatbelt behind it) would NOT clip back on for me. I lined up the clips and everything and nothing snaps back into place. Anything I'm forgetting to do there? Otherwise, I'm just gonna summon Dr. Duct-tape to the inside of it and be done with it.

Thanks again, I have you guys to thank for a lot of this install!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:25 AM
Nors
倍力恋

Can you please explain how you wired it through the door with more details..

I choose the other way.. and i did a very shabby job @ that.. i would like to do it through the door.. but my hands couldn't fit well to work in the door (not to mention not being able to see what I was doing)

So, let me get this straight..

You poped out the harness (inside the door jam or inside the actual door?)
Then you created a hole.. then ran the wire through?
Then where does it come out of that gromet from.. I couldn't even find that.. (On both passenger and Driver side)

If you answer these questions thanks so much if not lol..

Please post more info , or possibly take pictures