Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Honda Accord Euro Head Unit

Old 07-26-2004, 01:06 AM
karazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord Euro Head Unit

Hi All,

I have been searching everywhere to find out as much info I can about the standard Head Unit in the Honda Accord Euro 2004.

Basically I am looking for any wiring diagrams and if there are any pre outs (rca) outputs I can use for an amp. Or if anybody has done a similar install and got advice

I am trying to install my Two amps into the Euro using the Standard Head unit.

The amp for my front and rear speakers has a High Level input. But the other amp for the Sub does not.

The Audio installers say they can put a converter so that passes it from high level to a Pre Out....

But they said there might be a low hum over speakers from the engine.

I have read somewhere that the standard deck has a amp already. Can anybody confirm this.

any comments are apreciated....
Old 07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
VPUPPY

most factory head units do not have pre outs for amps. you need a line out converter that takes high input from your speaker wires and turns them into a low level rca output for amps. There should not be any hum if your run your wires right. do not run rca's with your power wire on the same side of your car and you should be fine. Oh, and that head unit must have a built in amp for your inside speakers only.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:00 AM
karazy

So it would seem that this installer I got a quote from does not know what he is doing.

He said that there might be engine noise through the stereo because they have to put a High level to Low level converter.

While searching for info about my Head Unit I found this below.
From what I understand from the post below it seems that you can ground any noise that is introduced. Is what I am saying acurate.

I will be definatly going to see some other installers to get their opinion.

I can still fax you the diagram if you want it, but here's the color codes (these wires are located on a harness that plugs into the factory amp underneath the head unit and behind the NOT AN ASHTRAY pocket

on the SMALLER connector:
line level signals and shieldings are as follows:
Driver: RED/BLU (+) / YEL (-) [B1, B8]
Shield: BRN [B5]
Frt Pass: BLU (+) / RED (-) [B4, B11]
Shield: BRN/YEL [B2]
Left Rear: BLU (+) / PNK (-) [B3, B10]
Shield: GRY/BLU [B9]
Right Rear: LT GRN (+) / PUR (-) [B6, B13]
Shield: GRY [B12]

Remote lead: B7 (YEL/GRN)

The cavity number (Bx) represent the connector viewed FROM THE HARNESS SIDE (not connector side) with B1 being the epper left cavity and B14 beind the lower right one.

Use the shield wires by soldering them to the shield on your RCA cables (you will need to take apart the "upstream" half of your RCA cables to get access to the shielding. Doing this is important as it shorts the factory shielding to the aftermarket shielding. Directional RCA's ground the shield at the AMPLIFIER and float it at the source. This way, any noise picked up by all leads on the RCA length will be referenced to ground at the amplifier and will not get amplified. If you skip this step, you might introduce noise into the system. It is important to get directional RCAs for this to work (or anything with a shield that is grounded at at least one end).

Now, I do not yet know the max unclipped voltage of the factory head unit preamp signal (if you discover it, I would be obliged if you reported it here), so you might benefit from a line driver. I want to find out what the voltage is before buying one, because if it's high enough, it won't be necessary.

BTW, I don't take responsiblity for any errors or omissions in this post... cut-n-splice at your own risk! if anyone finds an error in the text diagram I just copied, please let me know so I can edit this post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-27-2004, 01:13 AM
karazy

I just re read your post vpuppy and missed what you said here.

__________________________________________________ ___________
There should not be any hum if your run your wires right. do not run rca's with your power wire on the same side of your car and you should be fine.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Would running the power with rca's ... cause a noise in the stereo when accelerating while driving.????

This is what the installer told me could happen when you put a converter for High level to Low level.. (I wonder if he knows not to run the power with the rca)

Could he just be trying to get me to buy a new amp with High level inputs.

I have just bought a new car and trying to put my stereo system into the new car. I know that it would be perfect if I had a deck with rca outputs. But in my new cars Head Unit is built in and has all the Climate control stuff with it...... So I can't put in my old deck with the rca's.....

So this is my only option.

Shouldn't the converter be just as good as an amp with high level inputs??

Thanks for the advice Vpuppy...

I just want to know what I am talking about when I go talk to other installers...
Old 07-27-2004, 04:01 AM
VPUPPY

ya, running rca's with the power wire will cause engine. i have installed a lot of line out converters and seen no problems. maybe the shop you went to has cheap line out converters. i would run the power wires down the driver side(i have not idea where your battery is but i am guessing) and run your rca's down the passenger side. if it is easier for your to run the power wire down the passenger side then run the rca's down the driver side but DO NOT run them in the dash(up by the pedals and suff). If you tie it up to the wrong harness it may be an ignition harness which will cause you to have engine noise. Just run it under the driver side carpet(the foot area only) unitil you get it to the side, then go straight down.

also, if you do buy an amp with high level inputs keep in mind that it also has a line out converter but its just built in so i do not see why the other installer would be right. i did a 4 channel amp(for the 4 speakers) in a MDX w/navi system the other day and we used a 2 line out converters for the amp and there was no noise at all. in my own opinion you might be better off using line out converters with both amps. all you would need is two, one that taps into the front speakers and one that taps into the back. you can either use rca splitters on the line out converter for the rear and use that one box for the rear channel and the sub amp. also i know METRA makes a kit for the US 04 accord with includes the climate controls and cost $200. if its the same dash you may be able to use it.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:51 PM
karazy

I live in australia... so my car has the driver on the RHS of the car and the battery is on the LHS.

So I guess the installer would run the power strait down the left side of the car. Which would mean I would then have to run the speakers under the drivers carpet to the RHS of the car.
Then they would meet up at the amp which will be fitted to the back of the rear seats..

Sounds good??

Now I know what I am talking about when I go see the installers...

Thanks for all your pro knowledge....