Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

.Making your own Subwoofer Box

Old 06-25-2004, 08:54 AM
93DelSolSi
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .Making your own Subwoofer Box

Make your own Subwoofer Box

1) What Materials will i need ?
2) Where can i get the Materials ?
3) How much will it all cost ?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2004, 03:51 PM
TTT

Tools-Jigsaw, router, tablesaw, you need something to cut a circle out of a piece of wood and something to cut the wood. You are also going to need your choice of screws or nails, I recommend screws. You need a drill, drill bit to predrill the holes so the wood will not split, countersink bit, liquid nails or some type of wood glue, silicone sealant if your cuts are not perfect, 3/4" MDF, and carpet and spray on carpet glue if you want your box to look nice.
Home Depot, Lowes, or any type of hardware store that sells MDF.
Depends on what you already have. A sheet of 3/4" MDF is roughly $20 (you will most likely only need one sheet). You can estimate the cost of everything else.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:39 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT got it right..

when i used mine, i made it out of 3/4" mdf (multi-density fiber board (i think)), cut all the sides, predrilled every hole like he said.. so it wouldnt split.. the hardest part was to get the hole cut for the actual sub.. we used a jigsaw to cut it out, before we screwed all the sides together. i also used caulk to seal all the joints on the inside, so no air would leak. obviously, put the whole thing together, except the back and caulk the inside of it.. then put the back on and caulk that from the big hole in the front..

i also cut a hole in the back of the box and put a wire terminal thing off of one of my old surround sound speakers, so i could connect it to the box all nice.

if you know what you are doing with wood.. its not hard. i spent probably 25-30 bucks on the whole thing. i didnt carpet it either.. its just chillin my trunk, no one sees it
Old 06-25-2004, 04:56 PM
honura
Seni

Medium density fiber board. Close enough. Umm yeah I made a sealed box for my 2 10" w6 JL Audios. It came out good only thing was I made the box about 2-4" to big so it sounded ok but not as good as it should be. Umm do a seach and you should find my old box! I have a 12" W7 now and I got it in a bootleg ass box. Im lazy! Goodluck

$25-$30

Ohh yeah what you can do to cut the hole of the speaker if you don't have a templet get yourself a screw and a little string and place the sub on the box where you would likr it to go. outline the sub then in the middle of the outline you screw a screw in there then with the string measure it to where you need it to be and just go around and you will have a perfect templet for cutting. I hope I explained myself enought cause Im not gonna read it back. Goodluck
Old 06-26-2004, 07:09 AM
93DelSolSi
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 09:07 AM
b00gers

Materials:
-a table saw will be best, so you arent forced to try to saw a straight line with a jigsaw.
-a jigsaw or router to cut the speaker hole
-you want SCREWS, NOT nails. you want about 1 screw per 8"
-for your subs, 1 sheet of .75" MDF is enough
-a drill for the screw and holes
-silicone to seal the seams from the inside
-wood glue along the contact edges (optional)
-spray adhesive and carpet for the finish
-speaker connectors, or you can leave those out and just drill a hole for the speaker wires. if you decide to do the latter, be sure to put silicon around the wire so it doesnt create a leak in the box.

what to do:
-find out what dimension box will fit in your truck, be sure to measure the opening. you dont want to be not able to stick the box in there.
-find out how much air space you will need per sub. be sure you take into account the space that the speaker basket / magnet will use, and the board that will separate the 2 subs. since you want 2 different enclosures for the sub, not a single space for shared air.
-start designing your box on paper
-plot out what size boards you will need to cut out, and cut them out most efficiently on the board
-take the board that requires the hole for the sub, and cut that out. most likely your subs should come with a template
-depending on if you are using the speaker wire connectors, you should cut the hole for them out
-predrill the holes for the screw, line up boards and screw in the screws
-if you want before you put the boards together, put a line of wood glue
-wait for it to dry, and put a line of silicon on the inside seams to make the box airtight
-wait for it to dry
-cut and install carpet
-once dry, install sub.

whew, its a fun process.