Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   Wasn't listening at Best Buy? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/139970-wasnt-listening-at-best-buy.html)

lindsj 05-17-2004 11:24 AM

Wasn't listening at Best Buy?

I was just at the local best buy, and was looking at the Viper 160XV. Just for the record, we do not want an aftermarket alarm system, just the remote start-keyless entry features like the Viper 160XV. The price at Best Buy was about $180, and I asked the clerk if it included installation. He said yes, but that for my 2000 teg, I would need an $85 (unit plus labor) 'bypass'. I was under the impression that I only needed that 'bypass' unit if I was installing an aftermarket alarm. Was he not listening to what I was looking at? Or do I need the bypass anyway?

Wuzkrackin83 05-18-2004 02:17 AM

do you already have an alarm ?? and you want to add this to your alarm ????

lindsj 05-18-2004 04:44 AM

No, the car is for my wife, and we don't want an aftermarket alarm. I know that if we did have an aftermarket, we could add the modules for the doors and start system. We just want the door-start system.

mossman 05-21-2004 04:28 AM

Do you have a factory alarm? If so, the bypass is so when you unlock the doors with your new remote entry system, the alarm is not set off. If you don't have a factory alarm, you don't need a bypass. Best buy must have assumed that you had a factory alarm.

lindsj 05-21-2004 04:40 AM

Thank you mossman, that is the answer I was looking for. So, the factory alarm requires the bypass for the remote door opening so that the factory alarm does not go off. That is what I was not sure about. Thanks!

tomalexander12 02-03-2006 11:20 AM

Listen to what i say

Hi i work as an installer for best buy and if you listen to what they say then all will make sense. you have what is called an imobilzer built into your key, it is a chip that is built into the key so that when you put it in the ignition it allows the vehilce to start. this way someone could not get in and stick a screw driver in the ignition and start the vehicle. now with that said to let the vehicle start there needs to be a key in the ignition, the bypass module is a unit that mounts under the dash and you put an extra key in it with a chip in it, this way it tricks your car into thinking that there is a key in the ignition. that is why you need a bypass unit, the factory alarm if you have one is dealt with with a wire off of the viper 160xv brain. hope

tomalexander12 02-03-2006 11:21 AM

Listen to what i say

Hi i work as an installer for best buy and if you listen to what they say then all will make sense. you have what is called an imobilzer built into your key, it is a chip that is built into the key so that when you put it in the ignition it allows the vehilce to start. this way someone could not get in and stick a screw driver in the ignition and start the vehicle. now with that said to let the vehicle start there needs to be a key in the ignition, the bypass module is a unit that mounts under the dash and you put an extra key in it with a chip in it, this way it tricks your car into thinking that there is a key in the ignition. that is why you need a bypass unit, the factory alarm if you have one is dealt with with a wire off of the viper 160xv brain. hope this helps.

totalimmortal 02-03-2006 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by tomalexander12
Hi i work as an installer for best buy and if you listen to what they say then all will make sense. you have what is called an imobilzer built into your key, it is a chip that is built into the key so that when you put it in the ignition it allows the vehilce to start. this way someone could not get in and stick a screw driver in the ignition and start the vehicle. now with that said to let the vehicle start there needs to be a key in the ignition, the bypass module is a unit that mounts under the dash and you put an extra key in it with a chip in it, this way it tricks your car into thinking that there is a key in the ignition. that is why you need a bypass unit, the factory alarm if you have one is dealt with with a wire off of the viper 160xv brain. hope this helps.

Couldn't have said it better myself. What store do you work at??

mikesta21 02-06-2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by tomalexander12

im assuming your working for best buy?

totalimmortal 02-06-2006 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mikesta21
im assuming your working for best buy?

What kind of question is that?