Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

12 inch Alpine SWR? JL Audio 12w3v2? Infinity? Image Dyanmics? Help me!!!!

Old 05-03-2004, 01:04 AM
xero-cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 inch Alpine SWR? JL Audio 12w3v2? Infinity? Image Dyanmics? Help me!!!!

I'm a newbie to car audio so somebody school me on what im missing
Going to power a 12 inch single sub from 2 channels (bridged) off a JBL PX300.4 (300W into 4 ohms bridged)

Question: Should I worry about the 2 voice coils with my config or should I look for a single voice coil sub?

The other 2 channels are going to my front speakers. (Probably Focal PolyGlass or PolyKevlar 6.5")

Rear Speakers are Infinity Kappa Coax powered by my Alpine CDA-9833 HU.

I like clarity and SQ but I also want my lower frequencies to bump. I am also looking for a long lasting sub as I don't want to replace it anytime soon.

Here are the choices im looking at right now....feel free to add something! Budget US160

1. Alpine Type R SWR-1241D $106
2. Image Dynamics IDQ12 D4 V.2 $159.95 (Recommend by rcurley55)
3. JL Audio 12w3v2 $160
4. Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 $143

Thanks so much!

Edit: I listen to a lot of Hip Hop Maybe a sub that can play lower frequencies accurately is what I am looking for
Old 05-14-2004, 08:46 PM
wing_zero

dood you know you can use one channel to power both voice coils. im not sure what its called. like parallel wiring or somthing like that. since your bridging your amp i would advise that you check your temp often and if it gets hot you should get a cooling system.

do not cut the wire, after you secure the positive to the sub, using the same wire secure it to the other voice coil of the same sub then to the positive output from the amp. then same with negatives.

say 1 and 2 are positives to the voice coils and 3 is positive to the amp. 4 and 5 are negatives to voice coils and 6 is negative to amp.

so you connect 1 and 2 to 3 using the same wire. then connect 4 and 5 to 6 using a different wire from the positive but in the same way. if you're not sure see if you can find pictures of single channel dual voice coil set ups.

although you could get a single voice coil sub. i would get a dual voice coil, they tend to be more of better performance.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:51 AM
rcurley55

If you check on sounddomain.com or JLaudio.com you will find wiring diagrams for a d2 sub. My vote is still an IDQ12, but put it in the medium sized ported box (on the spec sheet - pm me if you get it and I can help you with the plans) and it will drop low and sound awesome!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:41 PM
tegryder23
cgp dc4

Hey it's called Parallel wiring. I have the Alpine Type R in my integra. I have it in the "special" alpine type r box that comes with it with a 475 watt RF amp. Along with my Alpine 9811 deck i can control SW level which helps a bunch along with the bass. you're like me, you want SQ but you want it able to bump pretty loud, ya know to show it off. You may want to look into buying the 600.1 JBL amp. I dont know what your budget is but that may be a consideration. The Infinity Perfect is all SQ and the JL Audio is all about loudness and rolling down the street bumpin. The Image Dynamics is shitty and you'd end up replacing it. Alpine is right in between which is what I think you want plus Alpine is notorious for quality shit so yeah Alpine SWR would be perfect
Old 05-17-2004, 02:47 PM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by tegryder23
Hey it's called Parallel wiring.
Nope, for a D2 to a 4 ohm mono load, you want to wire it in series

Originally Posted by tegryder23
The Infinity Perfect is all SQ and the JL Audio is all about loudness and rolling down the street bumpin. The Image Dynamics is shitty and you'd end up replacing it. Alpine is right in between which is what I think you want plus Alpine is notorious for quality shit so yeah Alpine SWR would be perfect
Ummm, what exactly is "shitty" about the IDQ? Something tells me that you have either had no experience at all with this company or its products - or - you have never heard one installed properly.

Last edited by rcurley55; 05-17-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:26 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

depends on which ID he is talking about, if he got the SPL ID then its balls out if he got the IDQ then his ears will love him forever, the IDMAX v.X, well that is the best of both worlds.
Type R's are great for both SPL and SQ I suppose, they have been mentioned in the same sentence as the W3's for a while, not sure about the V2's though. Perfects are yes very much SQ oriented.
the W3's and SWR's are the only two I would consider using a ported box for, as the others dont recommend it
Old 05-24-2004, 01:59 PM
tegryder23
cgp dc4

I have heard Image Dynamics and seen an install, I dunno whether it was the guy who owned them or what but he blew those things out, so i guess your right i dont have MUCH experience with those kind but i have seen one set up i guess thats not enough though haha
Old 05-24-2004, 02:32 PM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by Bmpn
depends on which ID he is talking about, if he got the SPL ID then its balls out if he got the IDQ then his ears will love him forever, the IDMAX v.X, well that is the best of both worlds.
Type R's are great for both SPL and SQ I suppose, they have been mentioned in the same sentence as the W3's for a while, not sure about the V2's though. Perfects are yes very much SQ oriented.
the W3's and SWR's are the only two I would consider using a ported box for, as the others dont recommend it

Hehe, the IDSPL is a very rare woofer - now the IDW is an even better one - one of the best sounding woofers out there period - in 15" and 18" sizes no less!!