Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Honda Civic Ex 2001 & new speakers!

Old 03-22-2004, 05:20 PM
rosalynn1881

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic Ex 2001 & new speakers!

Hi everyone, today is my first time in this forum. I need help in selecting new speakers. First I will provide you with some info. 1.) I own a honda civic ex 2001 2.) I still have the original single cd player and speakers that the car came with 3.) In a couple of days I will integrate my mini iPod with my cd player via the AUX slot (located on back of cd player.I use my car on a daily basis (not for racing etc.) I just want to hear my music much better Here is what I hope to accomplish: 1.) Well I only have $175.00 to spare 2.) I want better sound quality 3.) Should i first get front speakers or back? 4.) what is the difference? 5.) Can you supply me with the name brand/style/model of the speakers that you are referring me to? 6.) What exactly is subwoofers, tweeters, etc.? 7.) And do I need any of those items for better quality? Please help this rookie out in finding new speakers! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2004, 05:42 AM
strychnine
i am legend

i'd reccomend these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YBkFIFW...=0&cc=01&avf=N
Infinity Kappa 63.5i

i personally think they sound good and they're right around your price range, you might even find them cheaper on ebay. Upgrade your front speakers first, seeing as its your car and you hear the front speakers more.

Subwoofers, mids and tweeters are your main types of speakers. subwoofers produce low frequency sounds, or bass. tweeters are the other end of the spectrum, they produce high frequencies, such as voices, and mid-ranges fill in the middle frequencies. anyone feel free to correct me or elaborate.

if you like lots of bass buy a sub and an amp, or you like very vibrant loud music buy some extra tweeters. if not you dont have to have them. if you like a little uf everything just get some decent speakers.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:58 PM
soundqfan
soundqfan

Good call on the infinity's - decent performance at a decent price. To keep your system simple but effective, you could also try a new CD player with something around 45 watts x 4 channels. You'll be pleasantly surprised that a powered CD player can make decent speakers sound good and acceptably loud too. User preference comes into play here, so find a cd player that is user-friendly for you, and listen to a variety of speakers before you buy. Try to select a speaker that has a fairly high sensitivity rating (90dB or higher) to help you get the most volume out of a limited supply of power.
Good luck!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:01 PM
sbrown23
0wnz YOU

I'd go with speakers first. On my '04 EX, I got a new head unit first, but it still sounded like crap because of the stock speakers. I got Infinity Reference 6.5" components for the front and they sound great!

I would go with those as the first upgrade so you get good clear sound, then when you get some more cash, upgrade your head unit to something like the Alpine CDA-9807. This thing ROCKS, plays MP3 and WMA, and overall kicks major booty.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:19 PM
illusion

Well infinity is ok, but personally with $175 budget there's not much you can do, but you can do better than Kappa 63.5is. I'd swap out the fronts with CDT CL61As which will eat those inifinity for snacks http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1083 These are component drivers meaning a separate midbass and tweeter(the little speaker responsible for delivering high freqs), and I'd just leave the rear speakers as is, they do ok for rear fill. Having the tweet mounted higher will help you hear the highs better, and the CDT components have a much smoother high than the tinny sounding infinity coaxs.

Subwoofers are a way to add extra bass to a system. There's no real need for it unless you're into pounding your brains in(like I am) and you plan on spending MUCH more money on your system, as you'll need an amp, and a all kinds of other goodies.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:23 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I dont see why everyone is suggesting all the wrong speakers for his situation. You're recomending speakers that need a great deal of power to make decent sound. Keep in mind, the OEM cd player will only put about 12-15 watts to each speaker, hardly enough to properly power those speakers mentioned.

Your best bet, go to www.crutchfield.com, get the 800 number and give them a call... tell them exactly what you want to do, and they will explain everything in plain english as well as help you select products that will be right for you and fit your vehicle properly. They'll even provide cool wirring adapters so you wont have to cut or splice any wirring in the car, just plug it all in. For best overall sound, replace the front and rear speakers. Crutchfield has a few good specials going, like with Polk speakers, buy one pair and get a second pair at half off. Polk speakers are excelent too!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:27 AM
illusion

Actually the CDTs have a 92.0db sensitivity and I've heard them on a stock accord EX deck and they sound great.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
sbrown23
0wnz YOU

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
I dont see why everyone is suggesting all the wrong speakers for his situation. You're recomending speakers that need a great deal of power to make decent sound. Keep in mind, the OEM cd player will only put about 12-15 watts to each speaker, hardly enough to properly power those speakers mentioned.

Ummmmmm... Infinity Reference also have 92dB sensitivity. Should be fine with the stock unit. Also, you'll note above that being on a budget like that, it was suggested that he build his system in steps. Why get crap speakers now (which he already has in the stocks), just cuz the head unit is weak, then have to upgrade again later when he gets a good head unit and maybe amp?? Why even do anything in that case? If you are going to do something, do it right the first time.

<edit> Check here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XyWxesp...nity+reference

From Crutchfield:
- recommended power range 2-90 watts RMS
Old 05-04-2004, 10:39 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

he just wants a little better sound. I said nothing about getting crap speakers... i said replace the front and rear speakers, and I recomended the Polks because they have a good special going on that will allow him to afford both front and rear speakers.

he's not "building a system" he just wants better sound. Replacing the front speakers alone would be ok, but you'll get more clarity and better bass with 2 pairs of new speakers. I was suggesting to do it right the first time.

Running components on a stock deck is never a good idea, underpowering speakers is more disasterous that overpowering them in most cases, especially if they are played loud.