Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Help please my mids aren't working....

Old 03-02-2004, 10:00 PM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please my mids aren't working....

well today I installed my ps2 and long story short i forgot to unplug a live wire and it smoked all over my car and i blew a few fuses. Well i got all those fixed, and now my mids aren't playing. They are running straight off of the head unit, and my head unit fires up fine and my subs are hitting, but I don't understand why my mids aren't playing.....if you have ANY ideas at all please let me know! thanks!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:37 AM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

also...the live wire was from my in car dvd player that i took out, if it was just sitting there but it was plugged in, why did it get so hot and start smoking?

Is there an inline fuse for the radio somewhere, because everything is working fine except for my speakers....the right front speaker wire is pretty messed up, but wouldn't that just affect the front right speaker, and not the whole system?

are there any other fuses i might have forgotten about? i checked all the fuses in the engine bay fuse box and in the driver side fusebox...thanks!

btw its a 94 accord ex
Old 03-03-2004, 08:31 AM
KuttinEdge

I'm a little confused.
You blew a couple of fuses, and the wires still smoked?
Which live wire did you forget to unplug?
The only thing i can think of that happened with the smoking wires is that the wire either was not fused or not fused properly. If you use a 200 amp fuse that is powering a 16ga wire at 12 volts, chances are that wire will smoke when short circuited.
The reason for your midrange not working is questionable. It sounds like the heat from the burned up wire seared some other wires, which would cause you to have to replace "a few fuses".
When you sear two speaker wires, the impedance goes through the roof. A headunit can only drive a certain amount of impedance and survive.
You may have to rip everything apart and take a look at the damage that was done.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:42 AM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

so are you basically saying i could have blown my head-units internal amp?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:52 AM
KuttinEdge

its possible, what kind of headunit do you have?
Try and unplug the right speaker with the messed up wire. see if the left one will play.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

ok i'll try that when i get home...one thing i noticed is that the power wire that had gotten so hot it melted everywhere had basically attached itself to the negative for the front right speaker wire and was touching bare cable to bare cable...my headunit is a Pioneer DEH-P6500