Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   5 channel amp Q's (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/12496-5-channel-amp-qs.html)

JJJ784 07-31-2002 01:14 PM

5 channel amp Q's

Hey guys... i plan on getting a 5 channel amp, and wanted to know how they work. can they run at two different impedences?
for example. can it run the speakers at 50x4 at 4 ohms while powering the sub at 400x1 at 2 ohms? i have this feeling that it's either 4 or 2 ohm. but i'm not too sure. the amp in question is the PPI PCX-5800 and the sub will be a 12" alpine type r wired at 2 ohms. as for speakers... no clue yet. any suggestions? i'm probably leaning towards some mb quarts (the cheapest with a box crossover. price range ~$150).

rcurley55 07-31-2002 01:43 PM

That's how most are actually designed to work....some 5 channels act more like two separate amps under one chassis incorporating a class a/b design for the 4 channels, and a class D design for the sub channel....the Memphis Belle and the JL 500/5 are two good examples of such a hybrid design. You will have no problems mixing loads on your channels no matter what 5 channel you get.

It seems cost is a factor in your application, so why not get a more powerful 4 channel (75 or 100 x 4) you can the bridge it up to run the rear channels to the sub, and get more power to the front channels...

I have never been a fan of rear speakers, especially if you have a sub...spend the money saved on expensive rears on getting a nicer set of components up front, and you can power the stock rears from your head unit.

I find this type of setup to be more cost effective and to actually sound better then the typical 5 channel.....just a suggestion.

99IntegraGS 07-31-2002 03:11 PM

I have plans to buy a 4-channel amp in the future to power both fronts and rears. I don't want to hear the rears, but want them there in the event that I have someone sitting in the rear. I agree that rears are not necessary for front seat occupants.

Powering rears off the deck isn't always possible, it seems my Kenwood head unit doesn't supply power to the rears when my rear line-outs are connected to my mono sub amp.

So, the reason I want a 4-channel amp for fronts and rears is twofold: I don't want to lose the ability to adjust front-to-rear fade and I'd like the fact that the amp provides a non-fading summed signal line-out that I can pass along to the mono sub amp.

rcurley55 08-01-2002 08:00 AM

Are you two the same person?

In any event, I ran the setup I listed above, and it was great. I used a Pioneer Headunit, which did a good job of powering the rear speakers.

ChosenGSR 08-01-2002 08:25 AM

I have a sony xplod 5 channel powering all of my insides and a sub. Its really nice, and saves space.

99IntegraGS 08-01-2002 11:29 AM

Originally posted by rcurley55
No. Does it matter?

Can I not offer my opinion, or is this thread all yours now?

rcurley55 08-01-2002 12:00 PM

Originally posted by 99IntegraGS

No. Does it matter?

Can I not offer my opinion, or is this thread all yours now?

WHOOAAA...calm down there buddy....don't get your panties in a bunch.

This place is designed for everyone to offer their opinions...this thread like every other one belongs to the person who started it.

If you take a look at your post it appears that you were speaking as if you were the guy who originally started this thread. I noticed that the locations seemed too far away, but wanted to clarify.

It appeared as if you were giving extra information to the original post rather then making a separate comment. I try to adapt my opinion as to what would work best for the person who originally posted. If there was extra info to be had I wanted to make sure I had the info correct....hence the simple question:

I asked if you were the same person in the original post....people do tend to post under either multiple SN's or under their friend's SN.

Instead of a simple "no" and "what you proposed didn't work in my case...becasue of this, this and this........", you decide to act like an asshole...which is fine, some people just like to be that way.

You should be a bit more careful when you take such an aggressive tone...It's completely unnecessary and it's childish...remember this place is just letters on a screen, and it's extremely difficult to tell peoples tone around here....give people the benefit of the doubt and some slack...we are all here for the same reason, we like to b/s about car audio. :thumbup:

99IntegraGS 08-01-2002 12:33 PM

Who's the one with their panties in a bunch now?

Chill Curley, and in the future, don't lecture me.

rcurley55 08-01-2002 03:58 PM

Originally posted by 99IntegraGS
Who's the one with their panties in a bunch now?

Chill Curley, and in the future, don't lecture me.

Everything was fine until you blew something insignificant out of proportion...done and over.

Oh, and I will do what I want, when I want...thanks.

Now back on topic please :rolleyes:

99IntegraGS 08-01-2002 04:07 PM

Originally posted by rcurley55
Oh, and I will do what I want, when I want...thanks.
Oh, and your tirade is going to make me adjust the way I post? I think not.