Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   Need Capacitor? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/12487-need-capacitor.html)

xbladr 07-31-2002 12:44 PM

Need Capacitor?

I have a 96 civic with polk audios in the front and jbl's in the back. I also have a pioneer 300 wat max amp powering two lightning audio 12" subs. I was wondering would a capacitor be worth the money to install one into my car and also how well do they work? One more thing how hard would a capacitor be to install if anyone could help me out that would be great thanks alot

LjN_728 07-31-2002 07:14 PM

Well let me just ask you first, are you lights flickering? Usually when that happens, a capacitor is needed. People usually say for every 1k watts, 1 farad cap is needed. That is true, but i usually add capacitors when ever i think is needed.
Capacitors are well worth the money! You should be looking to spend no more than a $100 for 1 farad.
Caps aren't that hard to install. You'll see for yourself when you buy one and read the instructions

b00gers 07-31-2002 07:17 PM

turn your stereo on full blast at night with the headlights on, maybe even your heater. if any lights dim, usually a cap will fix it.

SiClone 07-31-2002 07:17 PM

LjN_728 is correct. Unless your lights dim significantly at high volumes, I wouldn't worry about it. With only 1 amp that maxes power at 300 watts, you shouldn't need one....:cool:

xbladr 08-01-2002 05:03 AM

alright thanks guys no i havent really noticed any significant flickering or anything of that nature at all.

dlh1999 08-01-2002 01:21 PM

No flickering tells you that the system isn't drawing more power than your electrical system can handle, or trying to compete with power with the rest of the car, so a cap probably isn't necessary.

derf 08-01-2002 02:57 PM

100 is too much. i'm gettin one 88 shipped thats a "poweramper" and includes plat. terminals 10ft of 4 gauge and fuse and 60amp fuse.... all that for 88

:)

my RPMs dip when it hits hard :) time for one you think?

derf 08-07-2002 09:36 AM

when I install a cap, it needs a ground right? its a stupid question i know. but i was given the impression that you didn't need a ground...... and I have two 8 gauge wires... do you think I can crimp it into one ring terminal?

b00gers 08-07-2002 10:10 AM

yes it does. what do you mean by crimp it into one ring terminal? where are the wires coming from.

but generally yes.

derf 08-07-2002 10:23 AM

well i have two 8 gauge wires... one for each amp. I didn't bother buying a 4 gauge then having to buy a power distributor and all that stuff. so I just bought another amp kit. Well, I want to hook up both amps to the cap. if i buy those gold plated O-ring terminals... looks like this O=... can i buy a big enuff one so I can put both 8 gauge wires in there and crimp them together in the terminal?

did i make sense?