Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   Kickpanels? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/12433-kickpanels.html)

white lightnin 07-31-2002 09:44 AM

Kickpanels?

Well im putting my interior back in and I didnt get any stock kickpanels. I am thinking Ill fiberglass a couple for some components. THose up front and one sub in the rear.

Anbody have info on kickpanels or opinions or recomendations on described setup.

rcurley55 07-31-2002 11:13 AM

the best place to start looking is over at elitecaraudio.com

They have a tutorials section (also called install clinic) I belive. The articles are written by Steve Head (audionutz) He is a very knowledgable guy, and if he writes it you should take notes...If you really want to do this correctly, take some time and read all of his clinics, but especially the ones titled "What is SQ", and the kickpanel FAQ....both are excellent reads...I read both at least 3 times through before I started my kickpanels.

I also highly recommend that you go and buy and IASCA CD. IT will be very helpful in helping you to determine the proper placement for your drivers.

Personally, I think that a simple three way setup (tweet, mid and sub) is one of the best setups to go for in a car. Less is more in this case.

white lightnin 07-31-2002 11:31 AM

thanks Ill check it out.

The Beav 08-01-2002 09:45 PM

sorry to sound stupid, but what exactly is a kickpanel?

rcurley55 08-02-2002 07:34 AM

The kickpanel is the area where you feet are when sitting in the front seat of your car....on the driver's side it would be right next to the dead pedal.

Having kickpanels means that you have built enclosures for drivers in that area. The most common way is by either buying them (Q-forms) or building them using a mixture of wood and fiberglass.

Check that link if you want more info...it's a great article if you want to learn more about how systems work, how to get SQ, etc.

steveng 08-02-2002 08:10 AM

i heard that the sound stage from the kicks will be too low. so you might wanna think of that

rcurley55 08-02-2002 08:19 AM

Originally posted by steveng
i heard that the sound stage from the kicks will be too low. so you might wanna think of that
Only if you build them incorrectly......

You shouldn't have a problem (depending on the car and drivers chosen of course) getting your stage above the dash, and to eye level...it takes a lot of listening, but can be done.

Sometimes people will add tweeters in the sail panels or a-pillars to help cancel out the rainbow effect, and to raise and widen the stage a bit, but they are not the primary tweeters.

Others use kick mounted mids, and tweeters up high in the a-pillars. This type of setup can be extremely rewarding (many competitors use this method), but setting it up is much more difficult than regular kicks IMO.