Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   what do you guys think of soundstream amps? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/12412-what-do-you-guys-think-of-soundstream-amps.html)

mobius 07-31-2002 08:16 AM

what do you guys think of soundstream amps?

I've had my soundstream amps (rubicon 702 for subs and rubicon 604 for 6x9's & front components) for about a year now. They seem to be very clean and powerful to me, but they get really hot. In the long run, I don't think they will perform as well as they have for me thus far. What have you heard about them and what experiences have any of you had?

If i upgrade, I was thinking about Phoenix Gold or Hifonics .....what would be your suggestions. I want a clean amp for the innards and a D class amp for the 2 momo 10's.

Wolverine 08-16-2002 04:45 AM

I bought two new Soundstream amps way back in 91-92. They are the D series. I now run 3 D100II's and a MC300 (very old stuff). These amps were/are great.
I did own a Reference200 and it was crap. I know a lot of people who have experienced these amps burning up due to excessive heat.
If your amps a very hot to the touch during normal use, get a fan to cool them. You will GREATLY extend their life! I housed my 4 amps in a amp rack. It's a sealed enclosure with fans at both ends, one pushing, one pulling.

I also know from experience that Phoenix Gold amps sound great! My friend used to have a M44. If I weren't using Soundstream, I'd be using PG.

mobius 08-16-2002 04:48 AM

finally, a response. thank you so much for the input.
i just ran across some infinity perfect components. have you heard the dish on these beyooots?

Cashis EG8 08-16-2002 07:14 AM

Soundstream Rubicon :thumbup:
Pretty good stuff, but I would take the PG over it. Hifonics stuff is a little OG from back in the day. They used to be really good stuff, I don't know how they are now.

dlh1999 08-16-2002 07:53 AM

Soundstream Rubicon amps, like other said, are nice amps. However, since you mentioned PG as a possibility, I'd kinda lean toward them. They produce clean sound and are well worth their price. I happen to really like the new line of JL amps, too...wouldn't hurt checking into those a bit.

mobius 08-16-2002 08:04 AM

aren't jl amps as expensive as PG's? For the money, what would be better, or the best of all?

dlh1999 08-16-2002 08:15 AM

That's probably true...and actually, you're right...I'd lean toward PG amps before JL if the cost was about the same. I just really like both...

SiClone 08-19-2002 08:35 PM

The only PG amps I would cconsider are the Titanium line. As for the JL, just make sure your OK with the output power remaining the same at 1.5-4 ohms. I like them a lot as well and they aren't nearly as expensive as comparable PG Titanium amp.:cool: