Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   repair blown speaker? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/123823-repair-blown-speaker.html)

LALno1 02-13-2004 02:57 PM

repair blown speaker?

I just recently blew one of my JL 6x9's, and I went to good guys where my gf had bought them for me, and they told me because I installed them myself, there was only a 3 month warranty :angry:

Anyways, I wanted to know if there is any way I can repair it myself, or any decently priced way of having someone fix it, cause I don't want to replace them.

I live in the Bay Area, CA, but if there's a place I could ship it to and have them fix it for a good price, I would be willing.

fastball 02-13-2004 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by LALno1
I just recently blew one of my JL 6x9's, and I went to good guys where my gf had bought them for me, and they told me because I installed them myself, there was only a 3 month warranty :angry:

Anyways, I wanted to know if there is any way I can repair it myself, or any decently priced way of having someone fix it, cause I don't want to replace them.

I live in the Bay Area, CA, but if there's a place I could ship it to and have them fix it for a good price, I would be willing.

Yeah, JL's warranty from the factory specifies that product installed at the dealer where puchased is 1 year p/l, but if it is not installed at the dealer warranty is only 90 days p/l. Can't really blame the dealer, they're just abiding by JL's warranty and they have to to stay authorized to sell them.

As for repairing them, sorry but you're out of luck. In the old days (1970's) you could have a speaker reconed. But then they were paper and had nothing more than the equivalent of styrafoam surrounds. In today's speakers, there are tight tollerances between the magnet and coils, and the polypropolyne injections are all done with computer aides. Even if you could rebuild a speaker, it wouldn't be cost effective. At my shop we charge 140.00 for labor alone to repair head units or amps.

LALno1 02-15-2004 10:34 AM

Damn, what would you guys do if you had one good speaker and one blown one, is there a way to buy one speaker without getting the pair? Or do I just need to get a new pair and find something else to do with the other one?

fastball 02-15-2004 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by LALno1
Damn, what would you guys do if you had one good speaker and one blown one, is there a way to buy one speaker without getting the pair? Or do I just need to get a new pair and find something else to do with the other one?

All car speakers are sold in pairs (except for sub woofers). Which means there are two of them in the box from the factory. You cannot buy just one, unless you tried to coherse the factory into selling you "just one". That is highly unlikely. Your only real option is to just bite the bullet and buy a new set. Mabe you could set up a dolby 5.1 surround in your car and use the other good one as a center channel. :)