Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Sony radio doesn't work after install...please help.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Dimi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony radio doesn't work after install...please help.

Well I bought my friends Sony for $50. Nice radio. Works and all. I installed it, soldered the wire harness from the radio to the Civic harness that plugs into the factory harness. All speaker wires, 12v wires, etc...except the ground. Plugged it in, worked fine. All stations picked up, great sound, etc...I unplugged it to finish up the soldering and taping off all wires and when I pulled the harness from under the dash, the 12v wire was exposed (yellow wire) and it made contact with the metal brackets that support the radio. A little spark appeared then nothing. The harness was already removed from the back of the radio so I doubt anything got messed up on the radio. I checked my car's fuse box and the radio fuse was ok (15amp). I still haven't checked any other fuses but I doubt any wouldn't gotten messed up. I checked the radio's fuse for all time's sake, but it's ok. I plugged it in and in and nothing. What do you think is wrong? Maybe not solder the 12v/ignition/ground wires and only butt-crimp them? Please help me here...
Old 02-07-2004, 09:50 AM
strychnine
i am legend

This may not be of much use, but I'd check all the fuses, in car and under the hood, then work from there. And soldering seems to be the best way to go
Old 02-07-2004, 11:33 PM
KuttinEdge

I bet if you check the fuse box under the hood (next to the battery) chances are you will find the problem.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:39 AM
mossman
Mark

Originally Posted by Dimi
Well I bought my friends Sony for $50. Nice radio. Works and all. I installed it, soldered the wire harness from the radio to the Civic harness that plugs into the factory harness. All speaker wires, 12v wires, etc...except the ground. Plugged it in, worked fine. All stations picked up, great sound, etc...I unplugged it to finish up the soldering and taping off all wires and when I pulled the harness from under the dash, the 12v wire was exposed (yellow wire) and it made contact with the metal brackets that support the radio. A little spark appeared then nothing. The harness was already removed from the back of the radio so I doubt anything got messed up on the radio. I checked my car's fuse box and the radio fuse was ok (15amp). I still haven't checked any other fuses but I doubt any wouldn't gotten messed up. I checked the radio's fuse for all time's sake, but it's ok. I plugged it in and in and nothing. What do you think is wrong? Maybe not solder the 12v/ignition/ground wires and only butt-crimp them? Please help me here...
Think there may be another fuse under the hood. Check there. If not, sometimes a fuse will be blown even if it doesn't appear to be. I would replace it with a new one.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Wuzkrackin83

Originally Posted by Dimi

if you seen a spark most likely you blew a fuse.