Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Best way to Improve Sound Quality?

Old 01-21-2004, 06:20 PM
longskate87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to Improve Sound Quality?

I have a stock '96 Coupe with Alpine 9803, and am looking to get better sound at lower volumes. It gets OK bass at higher volumes, but what I want is a mid-volume setup that will make medium bass, and give the music some power. When I turn the volume down, the music gets flat, no base, no highs, etc. I'm looking for quality more than sheer base here. I don't want to spend a ton, maybe just a speaker/tweet combo to help liven it up. Thanks.:quality
Old 01-22-2004, 08:22 AM
rcurley55

Well what do you want to spend? Do you just have the 9803 on factory speakers? Is this an EX or a DX?

more info...
Old 01-22-2004, 05:07 PM
longskate87

Stock everything except Alpine deck, looking to do this cheaply. I don't need super high-end stuff, just something to listen to when i'm driving. I was looking at JBL GTO 6 by 9's and something to put on the doors, 6.5" I beleive. What are good, cheap brands, prolly off of Crutchfeild, and for under $150.00 a pair? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:56 PM
longskate87

Well, I just ordered the Infinity Ref. Slims 6.5" for the doors. Any good? I got them from Crutch, so according to their return policy, I can try them and return them if I don't like. Sounds like a good deal, what do you all think? Also, Is it that important to upgrade the 6 by 9's in the back too? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Max Power
Buff Member

crutchfield is full hard on retail pricing. but you get some pretty awesome service and support with your purchase, as shown by your return offer.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 PM
rcurley55

I put a set in my buddys car not to long ago...they do sound good for the cash...you should be happy.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:38 AM
Spyfunkr

Smart move. They'll sound great with that Alpine. Do yourself a favor and get a Dynamat door kit. This will make a HUGE difference in any door speakers. Doors generally make terrible enclosures and rattle a lot. Its easy to do, just take your time, that stuff is sticky. My guess is, if you do this, you won't need the 6x9's in the rear, if Im reading your desires correctly. That said, a trunk makes an EXCELLENT enclosure for speakers. New 6x9's in the rear can eliminate the need for subs for some folks.

Spy
Old 01-23-2004, 09:17 AM
honura
Seni

Originally posted by Max Power
crutchfield is full hard on retail pricing. but you get some pretty awesome service and support with your purchase, as shown by your return offer.
They will help you even if your not buying or not gonna buy ! But theres a catch they will try to sell you something ! Just say NO!
Old 01-23-2004, 02:59 PM
longskate87

Cool, thanks for the help. If I do Dynamat, do I just put it in a little square behind the 6.5's, or do I have to remove the entire door panel and cover the door completely? Thanks, and also, I know it's a tough topic, but what matting should I use? Dynamat seems way expensive, I;m OK with the Home Depot stuff if it will work good enough. Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:24 PM
GSteg

If you want good replacement that won't kill your wallet, take a look at the CDT Audio classic-series coaxials at thezeb.com

$44.99 shipped with 3 years warranty. Use to be $99+shipping and only 1-year warranty. For the price, nothing beats it, unless you got a heck of a deal on a pair of infinity kappa for like $50. lol.