Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Burning out regulators and don't know why

Old 01-18-2004, 09:50 AM
SHRED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning out regulators and don't know why

Where are amperes drwan from--battery, alternator, or a combination of both?

My understanding is that a powerful amplifier will draw off the battery's reserve amperage and the alternator is there to recharge it.

I have had all kinds of problems keeping alternators in my car which is:

1991 Acura Integra(65amp rated alternator).
Alpine MRD-F752 5ch (75w(107w)x4 and 250w(330w)x1) driving 4 Polk Audio DX6's and a JL
Audio 12".

I have been through 3 stock and 1 high output(150amp) alternators in the last year. The regulators burn out.

I finally took the car to my regular mechanic and he thinks it has been the battery all along. It is a NAPA"exide" type battery and he says it might have a short in it that occurs when there is vibration during driving. He said those are the shittiest batteries made and he has installed an AC Delco along with another stock alternator. The vehicle's wiring checked out fine at an Auto Electric shop.

I have unhooked my power cable to the stereo and am going to drive it for a month or two without to see what happens.

I am totally nervous about having to go through this again. To remove the alternator, on my car, it costs $100 labor.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is burning these regulators out?
Will that stereo just not work in my car?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your stereo setup shouldn't affect your alternator to the point you are blowing diodes every month. I'd say the explanation your mechanic gave could be very accurate. I don't know what NAPPA sells, I've always used Sears Die Hards, and never had a problem.