Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Comparing Acura to Honda radios

Old 01-17-2004, 01:08 PM
darien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing Acura to Honda radios

I would like to know if anyone knows how similar Acura and Honda sound systems (as far as head units anyway) are. More specifically, I am trying to find out if SSI America's "Neochanger" CD changer will work with my 91 Legend. My car has the (very touchy) Bose system installed, so I wanted to put my factory unit back in and go with a changer, preferrably not an RF-connected one. I contacted both my Acura dealer and SSI by phone, but both of them were clueless as to whether or not it would work with my current setup. My factory radio has an 8 pin DIN connection made for use with Alpine (stock) changers, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with this universal changer. The rep at SSI told me that if Acura stereos are just like Honda stereos, then it SHOULD work.

Does anyone have any insight that could help me out?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 AM
SOHKeg

you've gotta use an alipne changer to have control of it from your headunit. if you want some more info give Cellcom a call at (703)538-2500, open Mon-Sat. 10-6.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:13 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

all early 90's hondas and acuras use the same connection and "language" for cd changer controls... which would be an Alpine M-Bus language with 2 wires swapped in the plug... this is why an adapter is needed even to run an Alpine M-Bus changer.

If the changer you are looking at is compatible with early 90's Honda decks, it WILL work with your legend head unit.

Looking at the compatibility chart for that changer, it does not list ANY Hondas or Acuras... for one reason I can pick up right away... its a 10 disc changer... Honda and Acura radios will only support a 6 disc.

Take a look on ebay and look for an Alpine M-Bus changer... sometimes you'll find them WITH the honda/acura adapter.

If you want to buy a new changer, contact Crutchfield (Crutchfield.com) and tell them what you want to do... I recomend the alpine changer due to the company's high level of quality they put into all their products... they're almost unbeatable. You dont specifically NEED an alpine changer though, There are other brands that are compatible with a different adapter.

Note: The OEM CD changers that were installed in honda and acura vehicles were manufactured by alpine.