Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   cap or battery??? help! (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/117295-cap-or-battery-help.html)

2fast4u5 01-03-2004 11:23 AM

cap or battery??? help!

ok, maybe i am just an idiot and know nothing about car audio, but i am about to install a 600w 4ch sony amp and a 1000w 2ch kenwood and i know i am going to have power problems. do you guys recommend getting a cap, and if so how many? or should i get another battery? or are there any other solutions? help me out.

mitsurugi 01-03-2004 01:19 PM

Re: cap or battery??? help!

Originally posted by 2fast4u5
ok, maybe i am just an idiot and know nothing about car audio, but i am about to install a 600w 4ch sony amp and a 1000w 2ch kenwood and i know i am going to have power problems. do you guys recommend getting a cap, and if so how many? or should i get another battery? or are there any other solutions? help me out.
Can you elaborate on your set-up a little more. What type of car is it in? What are you running the amps to? What size of wiring, and what are the specs on the subs/speakers and amps?

We can help you out more with more info
:)

2fast4u5 01-03-2004 05:15 PM

i have a 2000 accord coupe. i have 150w 6.5's, 260w 6x9's, 2 500w 10's, 8 gauge wiring. i want to run the 4ch amp to the mids and highs and the 2ch to the subs.

BrownGuy 01-03-2004 05:43 PM

Re: cap or battery??? help!

Originally posted by 2fast4u5
do you guys recommend getting a cap, and if so how many? or should i get another battery? or are there any other solutions? help me out.
I'd suggest investing in a hi-amp alternator... 135 or 150 amp should do your system good...

But if you don't feel like investing in a hi-amp alternator or don't have the money or whatever...

Then get 2-1 farad capacitors for your amps... upgrade your wiring from 8 gauge to 4 gauge. And if you decide on a new battery, look into getting an Optima Yellow or Red Top battery.

mitsurugi 01-03-2004 06:07 PM

Re: Re: cap or battery??? help!

Originally posted by ImportCarTuner
I'd suggest investing a hi-amp alternator... 135 or 150 amp should do your system good...

But if you don't feel like investing in a hi-amp alternator or don't have the money or whatever...

Then get 2-1 farad capacitors for your amps... upgrade your wiring from 8 gauge to 4 gauge. And if you decide on a new battery, look into getting an Optima Yellow or Red Top battery.

I agree with all of this :D

If you have the money, a high amp alternator is great for virtually any system. But, a cap or two would work great also.

You shouldn't need a new battery (although I'm not sure the size of the stock accord one) but if you do want to upgrade, look into the Optima ones mentioned.

And you should upgrade to 4 gauge wire definitely, at least for the larger amp.

Hope this all helps:thumbup:

Shore 96 Teg 01-04-2004 04:57 PM

if u dont upgrade your wiring you run the risk of overfheating the wire and starting an electrical fire in your car. DEFINITELY upgrade that wiring. It will also make it sound cleaner too cause more power can get through.

acuradriva 01-06-2004 09:56 AM

are you sure that amp is 1000 rms and not 1000 peak?

95AccordVtec 01-21-2004 08:37 PM

I have a 140amp alternator and running a 300watt PPI amp with a 10inch jlw3v2 and when I am bumping guages and everying flicker with the bass hits. I would recomend battery or cap. My 2 cents

rcurley55 01-22-2004 08:20 AM

Originally posted by 95AccordVtec
I have a 140amp alternator and running a 300watt PPI amp with a 10inch jlw3v2 and when I am bumping guages and everying flicker with the bass hits. I would recomend battery or cap. My 2 cents
If that is all true, then you have a serious wiring issue, or there is something wrong with your charging system!

95AccordVtec 01-22-2004 11:19 AM

I have all ground wire upgraded to 4 guage. My power for the amp is 4 guage. I think it might be my battery. I am getting a optima battery this weekend yellow top. Hope it helps.

The thing with the alternator is it is only 140 amps at a certain rpm. when your at ilde its not giving its full amperage. therefore I would go with a optima battery first then alternator. I am running HIDs and Autodimming mirror with compass. Its fine when I am rolling its just when I am idleing.