Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Adding a sub in an 03 Accord Coupe

Old 12-10-2003, 11:39 PM
grayghost_03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a sub in an 03 Accord Coupe

I am looking into adding a sub but I don't want to take up too much room in my trunk. I like the looks and concept of JL Audios Stealthboxes - if anyone is familiar - since they can be stowed away in the somewhat unused parts of your trunk. Although it may be a while before JL actually comes out with one for the 7th gen Accords. MTX made one up until 01 or 02 called the Thunderform or something like that - they are custom made to certain cars. Just curious if anyone has any ideas for a single sub, possibly already amplified, can handle at least 150 watts to maybe 300 watts RMS, and nothing bigger than 10". I am looking to spend no more than $350 to $400. All I have is the stock radio with six disc in dash cd player and no navi.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:43 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

no one makes a custom fit box for your car yet... which will just be a matter of time.

In the mean time, might I suggest an Infinity Basslink. It is a 10" sub with a 10" passive radiator (a non-powered, motorless woofer that is driven by the air from the sub, which acts like a "port" without any annoying port noise) in a sealed box with a 200 watt amp built in. They are made to be used with EITHER an aftermarket system (RCA inputs) OR a factory stereo (speaker level inputs). When the speaker level inputs are used, there is no need for a remote turn on wire, the amp detects the signal and turns on and off accordingly. This makes this subwoofer very nice for newer Honda/Acura vehicles, as there is NO turn on wire comming from the factory deck (many other newer cars are like that too). The bass output is rather impressive from such a small box (taking up less than one cu. ft. of space) but it is definatly not something that will rock the neighborhood. It is great for adding some low end to a factory stereo.

They are under $400 and include everything to get you up and running (except power wire I think), they even have a remote volume control, so you can tailor the bass output to your mood or music.

**I swear I dont work for or sell Infinity products It kinda sounds like it though... h:
Old 12-13-2003, 06:25 AM
grayghost_03

SumAccordGuy94 - Thanks for the suggestion I may end up going for that. You don't happen to have one yourself do you? Or know someone who has one? Just curious to see if the Infinity sounds good.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:37 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I have installed 3 of them, people with the same "needs" as you pretty much... some extra low end to the stock stereo... in all cases, it was more than enough for them. Which made the remote handy, just turn it down a little.

It is definatly pretty powerful for a small subwoofer.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:02 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

if i turn off all the bass from my stock speakers and just use the basslink, would the bass be noticeably better or would it just be a bass replacement for the stocks? i hope the bass is noticeably better instead of just a bass replacement from the doors and rear deck to the trunk.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:14 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

You will want to turn the bass on the deck down, yes... what you do, turn the bass all the way down, and then find your "listening level". Keep the volume there, and slowly turn the bass up again untill you hear distortion, then turn the bass back down to eliminate the distortion. Then, with everything on the deck set, start dialing in the sub bass, get it to where it sounds good without distortion, and you're all set.

Your bass will be noticably louder and fuller than just the stock speakers, even with the bass turned down on the deck. You'll also be able to achieve louder listening levels, because the main speakers wont be producing the bass, instead your sub, which is made to produce the low frequencies will handle it.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:24 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
You will want to turn the bass on the deck down, yes... what you do, turn the bass all the way down, and then find your "listening level". Keep the volume there, and slowly turn the bass up again untill you hear distortion, then turn the bass back down to eliminate the distortion. Then, with everything on the deck set, start dialing in the sub bass, get it to where it sounds good without distortion, and you're all set.

Your bass will be noticably louder and fuller than just the stock speakers, even with the bass turned down on the deck. You'll also be able to achieve louder listening levels, because the main speakers wont be producing the bass, instead your sub, which is made to produce the low frequencies will handle it.

thanks a lot, thats all i needed to know