Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Audio noob here with some Q's

Old 11-26-2003, 03:31 PM
lkailburn
college kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio noob here with some Q's

Hey guys, i'm pretty much a noob when it comes to really technical parts of car audio. i know the different types of speakers(subs, mids, tweeters) and that sort of stuff, but nothin much past that. Anywho, i think this winter i will be putting some cash towards a good clean quality audio system. My plan was to replace my factory 5 1/2's(already replaced my rear 6x9's), add some flush mounted tweeters in my door panels, and install 1 possibly 2 10" subs in custom boxes in the back.. My question to you guys concerns the tweeters and the subs. For the tweeters, do i use a cross over to install them? if so is there a site i could look at that explains how that works? ....and for the custom boxes, is it true that if i make a fiberglass mold of the sides of my trunk, that the sound waves will cancel each other out(not entirely but enough to notice), due to the different angles of the fiberglass?(the fiberglass mold would be the back of a box. i'd creat the rest with mdf board)

if anyone could help, or send some links explaining my questions i would really appreciate it.. please no flaming....thanks guys

hit me up on aim if oyu want: BananaRpblic4

Luke
Old 11-26-2003, 04:38 PM
rcurley55

This is a pretty generic answer, but it should address your questions properly:

You want to get components for your front doors - no one makes them in 5 1/2" sizes - they will be either 5.25, 6.5, or 7". Generally a honda is 6.5"s

If you buy what are called components, you will receive three items typically, the midbass, the tweeter and a crossover. The crossover is called a passive crossover - it's typically not very adjustable, but it's effective and saves you from adding additional channels of amplification.

Put the midbass in teh factoyr location and the tweeter where you like.

As for the fiberglass question.....that is totally, and 100% wrong. An enclosure with NO parallel sides is actually ideal. It's actually nice to have angles in the enclosure so that the back wave doesn't actually come back and hit the back of the cone.

So glass as much as you want, you are ok there - just make sure the glass is curved, there are no air leaks, and it's thick enough so that it won't flex.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:56 PM
lkailburn
college kid

right, i knew about making sure it wont flex. thanks for answering the question about the enclosure. as for the tweets and front speakers, i meant to hit 61/2 not 51/2. i don' tknow but the number 5 was stuck in my head. where do you normally mount the passive crossover? another question, who makes a good component set and what is an avg price for a set? thank you i really appreciate your help.. i'm a quick learner so everything is starting to peice together

thanks again,

Luke
Old 11-26-2003, 11:16 PM
TraviZ

sounddomain.com
Old 11-27-2003, 10:46 PM
arch iceman

You can typically mount crossovers in the doors with the speakers to minimize wires running into the doors, or you can mount them somewhere else, in the dash, kickpanels, under seats (not reccomended: water, trash, shock exposure)

As far as recomending a set it really depends on the characteristics of sound that you like as well as your budget.

The best thing is to personally audition a few sets of component system speakers at your local retailers. Bring a favorite CD of yours to listen to instead of thier music. Also pay attention if theyre playing the speakers with an amplifier or external sound processors. Most retailers would be glad to help any potential customer find exactly what theyre looking for. A happy customer means good referrals to them, so dont be afraid to ask and tell them what youre looking for. Then you could always come here for a honest or second opinion.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:07 PM
lkailburn
college kid

iceman- thank you, i appreciate the tips. i just picked up a steal for 2 10" subs and an amp, so i'll need to balance out the low with the highs. when i get some time i'll be making some rounds to local audio places. when i test out the component set, will i really be able to hear a difference in them? i've read through some audio forums and people talk about stuff i've never heard before, ie: stage--whats that? they said something about depending on where you mount your component set, you will change your stage? idk, im looking for a good quality set. is there one you would recommend thats around 100 bucks? or is there a good setup that includes an amp for just over that price maybe? again thanks for your help

Luke