Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

is this something i can do by myself??

Old 07-24-2002, 05:53 AM
steveng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 94uhkord
Will- you ended up running your power leads down the center huh? I imagine that would be the best way.
And why did you run 2 power leads instead of using a distribution block?

steveng- the size of your power lead will ultimately decide how or where you run it. My power lead isn't that big, I think its 8 guage, maybe 4, so I was able to run it down the sides under the door sills. No need to take the back seat out when running down the sides. But if you don't mind the extra work, taking the seat out wont hurt and will give you more area to work with.
i think i will run it down the side under the door sills just to make life easier. one question for the power wire, why i shouldn't run the power wire and other wires on teh same side? if i add one more amp and sub, do i need 3 fuse box or just 1 ?
Old 07-24-2002, 05:57 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by steveng
do i mount the amps directly on the back of the seats or is it better to mount on a piece of wood board? second question is, should i use 4 guage all the way from the battery to the amps, or 4 guage for the main power wire, and 8 to the amps?
You can mount the amps wherever you want. Do you want to show the amp or have it hidden? The main thing to keep in mind for the amps is ventillation, how are you gonna keep the amps ventillated? In the trunk you won't get any airflow so kinda hard to do, unless you hood up some fans. Under the front seats is a good location, easily accessible when you need to play with the settings, and it also allows air flow to the amp to help keep it cool. I would go at least 4 guage power lead for the amp you want, all the way to the amps. Well, I gotta get going, work sucks. Later. Got anymore questions, post em, I'll be back.:thumbup:
Old 07-24-2002, 06:00 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

i think i will run it down the side under the door sills just to make life easier. one question for the power wire, why i shouldn't run the power wire and other wires on teh same side? if i add one more amp and sub, do i need 3 fuse box or just 1 ?
Good idea. Running power wires with the rca's can in some cases cause engine noise, that irritable high pitched whining sound coming through from your speakers. I have never had this problem, but it does happen. Better to be safe than sorry. You can get a fuse distribution block, it will be alot cleaner than having 2 or 3 seperate fuse holders.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:03 AM
b00gers

Will- you ended up running your power leads down the center huh? I imagine that would be the best way.
And why did you run 2 power leads instead of using a distribution block?
no they are on the side of the car, so you can imagine a big buldge.

i ran 1 4gauge, but those amps i used ate it up, so i ran another 4guage instead of replacing it with 0 or something. i couldnt afford it.

another lesson learned about planning ahead.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:30 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL

no they are on the side of the car, so you can imagine a big buldge.

i ran 1 4gauge, but those amps i used ate it up, so i ran another 4guage instead of replacing it with 0 or something. i couldnt afford it.

another lesson learned about planning ahead.
so you've got the buldge thing going on in your car huh? Hey, gotta do what you can afford. I hear you though on the running of another lead, sh*t can get expensive.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:36 AM
steveng

since my car got broken into, i don't think it's a good idea to mount an amp under the seat.
is distribution block so called splitor and how close should i mount the distribution block to the amps? last question, will i need two other fuses to protect the amps in addition to the fuse on the main power lead?
Old 07-24-2002, 11:08 AM
b00gers

since my car got broken into, i don't think it's a good idea to mount an amp under the seat.
is distribution block so called splitor and how close should i mount the distribution block to the amps? last question, will i need two other fuses to protect the amps in addition to the fuse on the main power lead?
you can put the D block as far and close as you want to the amps...you CAN fuse them, actually i recommend that you do, in addition to the fuse under the hood.

this is how my setup use to look like.....

----fuse-----amp(w fuse)
battery---fuse------------dblock
----fuse-----amp(w fuse)
Old 07-24-2002, 11:29 AM
steveng

Originally posted by WiLL

you can put the D block as far and close as you want to the amps...you CAN fuse them, actually i recommend that you do, in addition to the fuse under the hood.

this is how my setup use to look like.....

----fuse-----amp(w fuse)
battery---fuse------------dblock
----fuse-----amp(w fuse)
looks like you have 2 amps as well. do you use 4 guage all the way, or 4 for the main and 8 after the dblock? how much amp are your fuses? i heard that 150 amp is the max you can go, correct me if i am wrong.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:54 AM

dont need too many tools, phillips and flat head screwdrivers, wire cutters and stipper, a drill and some drill bits and of course, a healty collection of connectors would help.
yollu need to take the dash apart, to get the wire from HU to amp, and youll prolly have to take the seats out, for easiness.....but whatever
Old 07-24-2002, 12:03 PM
b00gers

looks like you have 2 amps as well. do you use 4 guage all the way, or 4 for the main and 8 after the dblock? how much amp are your fuses? i heard that 150 amp is the max you can go, correct me if i am wrong.
ive had a lot of different setups....the size of your wire will depend on the amps you have. i think 4guage then into 8 guage will be fine for your amps. the fuse size, again, is going to depend on your amp. 150amp fuse is huge....check your amps for the size of the fuse for the dBlock and main power wire.